For TIA Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For TIA Users

I am just wondering how those of you who used TIA faired on Dave's practice exams. I am a little concerned after today. On the first 3 sample exams I scored a 22. Of the 8 I got wrong there are seems to always be 2 of them that I understand but make a silly mistake on. Those I can live with I guess.

On sample exam 4 though I scored an 18 which I think puts me right on the borderline. I was just curious how everyone else did on the sample exams and passed the real thing.

Thanks

I have not taken the practice exams yet, but when I do, I will let you know how I did. Do you like TIA so far?

Comment

I will let you knwo after the weekend brandond as I will be taking some.

Were you using ACTEX to study? How would you comepare ACTEX with TIA exams?

Comment

For all of you who will be taking them this weekend that would be cool to see how you did.

I went through an older version of an Actex manual but never did their practice exams. I looked through them though and it seemed to me they were a variety of previously released exam questions as well as the SOA 142.

Using TIA though the homework problems Dave assigns are a lot of those previously released exam questions so if you use Actex or TIA you get to see them either way.

As far as how I like TIA I think it is good. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Dave always responds to my questions and from everyone else has said his practice exams are more like the real thing then anyone else, especially the last 2 or 3 right now should be most representative of what we might see.

Post your guys scores as you go through. I am curious to see how I fare compared to everyone else.

Comment

I will post my scores once I take the exams. Did you learn faster with TIA or the ACTEX study manual?

Comment

I am one of those kind of guys who likes to get things from multiple angles. I would recommend both if you have the time. TIA will break things down in a much simpler and much less mathematically demanding fashion, showing you shortcuts and little "tricks" on some things to help save time.

That seems to be my biggest obstacle is the time constraint, if I have an extra hour I know I would be in clear as I could figure some of the more difficult questions out.

The ACTEX manual was a good break for me from TIA. If I was getting stuck with something I would go work on the ACTEX manual and come back to wherever I was with TIA. The benefit for me with this is that I like to know how to solve the same problem multiple ways, as I feel a little more confident in my answers if I get the same one from more than one angle (assuming I have the time to do so).

I dont think you can go wrong with TIA, there will be some overlap with the two but all this means is extra practice.

Comment

I think the ACTEX exams are very tough, which is consistent with what I've read on here. I'm averaging between 12-17 on the first 4 I've taken. Which is no bueno.

I'm hoping TIA is more consistent with how the actual exam is. I will post on this thread when I take one.

Comment

I use both TIA and Actex, but I prefer TIA over Actex anyday. Ive learn 10 times faster with TIA then Actex, plus it's easier to understand when someone is guiding you through the problem.

Comment

Ok here are my first five TIA sample exam scores:

Exam 1: 21
                  Exam 2: 22
                  Exam 3: 22
                  Exam 4: 18
                  Exam 5: 22

Exam 6, 7 coming.

Comment

How do you guys feel after taking a sample exam? I feel totally drained! Is it just me or is it stressing to do these dang tests?

Comment

Stressing is an understatement. The ACTEX exams are slowly killing me...

Comment

I am using Tia primarily now (up to Poisson) but then tried to do the ch4 practice problems and I;m clueless.What I learn in the lectures doesn't seem to prepare me for real problems .My probability class was straightforward with using formulas..i suppose i need to see and understand as many problems and their solutions before I can do them on my own?...Is that what I'm lacking..or is it just my brain..ha..I am very frustrated and sad at this point. Ive never been challenged so much in my life.

Comment

When I was using TIA for p/1..I kind of had the same problem as you. Where they would teach a lesson, then the practice problems were nothing like what they were teaching.

My advice is to do the practice problems, look at the answers and what you did wrong..and just try to understand the concept of how it was completed..the more I did this, the more I kept getting the hang of things...I also had the actex study guide as a second reference..soyou might want to get another study manual as well...Its nice to have some material talked about in different point of views.

Comment

thanks! i think i'm being too hard on myself thinking i can do most of the practice problems with out seeing the solution method first ( ..i've been at this only a month... trouble is there are so many concepts and ways it seems..
                            i have Finan's book, and ASM which is basically just exams! so i'm not ready for that yet.
                            Originally posted by mandersonjr View Post
                            When I was using TIA for p/1..I kind of had the same problem as you. Where they would teach a lesson, then the practice problems were nothing like what they were teaching.

My advice is to do the practice problems, look at the answers and what you did wrong..and just try to understand the concept of how it was completed..the more I did this, the more I kept getting the hang of things...I also had the actex study guide as a second reference..soyou might want to get another study manual as well...Its nice to have some material talked about in different point of views.

Comment

im going to be in the same boat as you in about 2 weeks...I ordered asm for p/1 and Im going to get tia again...I started to study for it about 1.5 years ago but I just stopped and went on a different career path..

update how the studying process is going

Comment

Working...
                              X