Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution Formula Memorization?

Hello all,

With under a week to go before I take the exam, I'm feeling prepared, but I'm wondering how I should spend my final days. Mostly I'm wondering whether I need to spend time memorizing all of the distribution pfs, cdfs, expected values, variances, and moment generating functions.

Some of them are easy enough and have appeared on practice questions (like Poisson, exponential, uniform...), but what about the Weibull, Beta, Gamma, and Pareto disributions? I haven't seen any sample questions that require knowledge of those specific formulas...but I guess you never know.

Can any exam veterans advise me on this?

Memorization

Originally posted by MathDaddy
    Hello all,

With under a week to go before I take the exam, I'm feeling prepared, but I'm wondering how I should spend my final days. Mostly I'm wondering whether I need to spend time memorizing all of the distribution pfs, cdfs, expected values, variances, and moment generating functions.

Some of them are easy enough and have appeared on practice questions (like Poisson, exponential, uniform...), but what about the Weibull, Beta, Gamma, and Pareto disributions? I haven't seen any sample questions that require knowledge of those specific formulas...but I guess you never know.

Can any exam veterans advise me on this?
    When I was taking exams, there were many times when I looked at the stuff they wanted me to study, and throught to myself: "They can't possibly expect me to memoriza this!". Well ... that stuff showed up on the exams very often. So ... you will not get a question on all of these special distributions, but you might get one. And the difference between 5 and 6 is one question. My advice is: remember one thing about each distribution, one crucial fact that will help you recall it on the exam. Very often that crucial thing is the survival function.

Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski
    Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

I'm memorizing them all; I had them all in my short term memory a couple weeks ago, we'll see how much I can recall tomorrow.

Comment

Tomorrow????
        Proper prior planning prevents poor performance!

Comment

Heh I'm sure he just means he's going to study them again tomorrow. (well now I guess it would be today)

As for me... I memorized them all yesterday... running the 123 all day today...take Friday off... spend Saturday maybe just flipping through my old probability textbook... then the 123 again Sunday. Monday I'll save for whatever I feel sketchiest on. It's crunch time and I want that 10!

Comment

I memorized them all a few weeks ago in about 5 hours total (copy them to index cards, start with blank cards, recite them from memory, see what I '''''ed up, do it again); the only things I really have any difficulty on are the formulae for mean and variance for Gamma and Beta distributions; I get them backwards sometimes.

Comment

It doesn't make it any easier that the gamma function is a part of the pdf for beta.

Comment

Working...
              X