Retaking Exam 1/P to Improve Score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retaking Exam 1/P to Improve Score?

Let's say that you just took the Probability exam the other day (hypothetically speaking, of course ) and you think you probably passed, but didn't do as well as you are capable. Would you consider signing up for the next exam to better your score? In fact let's say it turns out you get a 6, but with a little more focused practice you think you could definitely get a 9 or 10. Other than personal satisfaction and a loss of $175 is there any legitimate reason for having a higher score recorded? Do employers have access to your score or do they only know if you've passed or not? Just curious what everybody thinks since the registration deadline for the next test is a couple of weeks away...

you would be a fool to retake it. Actually, I don't even know if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by MathDaddy
      Let's say that you just took the Probability exam the other day (hypothetically speaking, of course ) and you think you probably passed, but didn't do as well as you are capable. Would you consider signing up for the next exam to better your score? In fact let's say it turns out you get a 6, but with a little more focused practice you think you could definitely get a 9 or 10. Other than personal satisfaction and a loss of $175 is there any legitimate reason for having a higher score recorded? Do employers have access to your score or do they only know if you've passed or not? Just curious what everybody thinks since the registration deadline for the next test is a couple of weeks away...
      There's no reason to do so. It's not like the SAT's. Your score only matters in the sense that it has be above a 5 for you to get credit for the exam.

If you do try to take the exam again just for a better score, I can guarantee that almost no employer will see your point. All the time you're using to prepare for Exam P again is time that could better be spent on studying for the next exam. Remember - there's at least another 5-8 more that you have to take - no sense burning yourself out on the first one or two.

Comment

re-apply for p/1

Hi,

If you are unsure how you did the exam this week, it would be better to apply right away for the spring p/1 exam (deadline is March 15 by which date, the appln. should reach SOA). You will be refunded the fees if you pass the winter exam.

http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/prob_exam.cfm

Rathi

Comment

Originally posted by rswami
          Hi,

If you are unsure how you did the exam this week, it would be better to apply right away for the spring p/1 exam (deadline is March 15 by which date, the appln. should reach SOA). You will be refunded the fees if you pass the winter exam.

http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/prob_exam.cfm

Rathi
          Less $60, that is.

Comment

Yeah. I'm just starting out in this field (only just wrote first exam... have no work experience and/or internships) so I'm no expert. But my advice would be to just worry about taking FM in May (which I'm assuming you still need), and then if it turns out you did fail P, then apply to take it in August. There are no other exams offered in August so it wouldn't directly overlap another exam, and you would save that 60 dollars non-refundable if it turned out you did pass.

Hopefully you passed though (same goes for myself as well)! Good luck!

Comment

I believe SOA DOESN'T allow you to retake an exam you pass.

Comment

You'll get a full refund if you pass the exam and register for the may setting.

Comment

Originally posted by wat
                  Less $60, that is.
                  . .
                  Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                    . .
                    Excellent contribution.

Comment

I was quoting wat? because the person who posted before me did not see it.
                      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1983
                        Excellent contribution.
                        well said

Comment

Full refund

Hi,

I ain't hip enough to 'get' the subtle teasings in the replies. However, seriously, this is what the website says about refunds:

Important Note for Spring Registration Deadline: Grades for the Winter exam session may not be available prior to the March 15, 2006 registration deadline for the Spring session. If candidates suspect that they did not pass the Winter exam and would like to retest, they should submit a Spring registration form with payment. A full refund automatically will be given to candidates who pass the Winter administration of Exam P/1 and have submitted a registration for the Spring administration of Exam P/1.

Rathi

Comment

If you keep reading, on the same page it says,

Any candidate who submits an application for Exam P/1 and decides not to take the exam and has NOT scheduled with Thomson Prometric may receive a refund (less the $60 administrative fee) by doing the following:

* Submit a refund request by e-mail ([email protected]) to Preliminary Actuarial Examinations. The deadline for refund requests is three weeks (21 days) after the date that the exam was administered. Requests will not be considered after this date.

Comment

Originally posted by MathDaddy
                              Would you consider signing up for the next exam to better your score? In fact let's say it turns out you get a 6, but with a little more focused practice you think you could definitely get a 9 or 10. Other than personal satisfaction and a loss of $175 is there any legitimate reason for having a higher score recorded?
                              Most employers would look at you in a better light if you have passed 2 exams compared to 1 exam with a higher score. High scores are looked at very favorably but continued passings are better.
                              P. S. I'm Denny Crane

Comment

Working...
                              X