Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying for P/1 - calc and probability

Hi,

I thoroughly searched around the board, but didn't see the answer to my question.

I'm thinking about taking the P/1 in September, but it's been 15 years since I took calculus and statistics in college as part of a business degree. I always did very well in the calculus and statistics classes, but that was a long time ago and I'm essentially starting from square one.

I'm thinking about getting the Actex Calculus Review manual and I've seen a few other mentions for other review materials on the board. Am I okay to study the probability and calculus concurrently, or would I be best-suited to get a firm handle on calculus first before ever diving into the probability?

Chris

I lean towards trying to tackle both at once instead of one and then the other, but I would greatly appreciate any opinions that people have.

I was in the same boat Cwash.

I used the following book along with the ASM manual:

http://www.atu.edu/mathematics/finan...shall/book.pdf

Don't worry too much about the calculus, if you can perform a double integral you should be fine.

Calculus Resource if required: Khan Academy (youtube).

Comment

It's been 10 years since I've done any calc. There's a brief review chapter in the beginning at the Actex manual. It was probably the hardest chapter for me. I'd say don't worry too much about it though.

Go through the book and just try to follow the integration in the examples as they come up. Then it'll all come back to you. If you do enough examples and follow them you'll be fine. Don't front load all your calc, just tackle it as your learn it in the respective chapters.

Comment

Working...
      X