Help with joint pdf problem from actex 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with joint pdf problem from actex 2009

Hi I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any help with this problem I am having. The problem states:

An insurance company insures a large number of drivers. Let X be the random variable representing the company's losses under collision insurance, and let Y represent the company's losses under liability insurance. X and Y have joint density function

f(x,y)= (2x+2-y)/4 for 0<x<1 0<y<2

What is the probability that the total loss is at least 1?

I completely understand the explanation they give but if you attempt the problem by getting the complement which would be 1-P(X+Y<1) the answer comes out to be .75, where the actual answer is .71. Any thoughts? Thanks

Originally posted by shong85 View Post
    Hi I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate any help with this problem I am having. The problem states:

An insurance company insures a large number of drivers. Let X be the random variable representing the company's losses under collision insurance, and let Y represent the company's losses under liability insurance. X and Y have joint density function

f(x,y)= (2x+2-y)/4 for 0<x<1 0<y<2

What is the probability that the total loss is at least 1?

I completely understand the explanation they give but if you attempt the problem by getting the complement which would be 1-P(X+Y<1) the answer comes out to be .75, where the actual answer is .71. Any thoughts? Thanks
    It works, check your math.
    On the integral from 0 to 1-x you get:
    -5/8x^2 + 1/4x + 3/8

Integrate that, you get
    -5/24 + 1/8 + 3/8 = .29
    1-.29 = .71

Comment

Working...
    X