Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you comment on my new approach to studying?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you comment on my new approach to studying?

How does this approach sound?
    1 Go through the Actex Calculus 2005 book chapter by chapter

Write out each problem and solution over and over til i understand the method used and write it out in my own words. THEN move to the next problem.
    DO NOT SKIP a problem and say..well i'll take my chances...
    research it..(even if it's algebra)
    Eventually I'll identify the type of problem and the steps taken to solve it.

2 Do the same for Probability (Marcel Finan's entire book)
    3. ASM Study Manual (the same)...by now ..should be moving quicker.
    4. Focus on additional sample exams doing more problems and then try and test myself in 3 hr periods.

Maybe spend 1 month on each of these steps and i'll be ready to go in March? I HOPE!

--
    I've attempted to study numerous times over the past year..the approach of testing myself on text book problems after reading a section of test seems to be wasting my time because i don't remember or understand what I just read by the time i get there thus making me very frustrated and sad.

Originally posted by Al Bundy View Post
    I've attempted to study numerous times over the past year..the approach of testing myself on text book problems after reading a section of test seems to be wasting my time because i don't remember or understand what I just read by the time i get there thus making me very frustrated and sad.
    So you would go through the whole book, and then do the problems in each section? :Confused:

Comment

no id do the problems at the end of each section and the examples in the text.

Comment

You can also add the 4 free sample exams with video solutions from TIA to your list.

www.theinfiniteactuary.com

Good luck!

Comment

It sound good. Just one thing. You're probably going to get bored of moving so slowly. So if one day, your itchy fingers turn the pages for you before you're ready, just be flexible and let the pages fly! Whatever works, works. Just don't get too caught up on the how, and just go. Cuz you're in for a long haul....

Good Luck

Comment

Sounds like a very thorough method, and it should be great as long as you stick to it. As motivation said, do give yourself the flexibility to speed up and skip some material if you already feel comfortable with it or if you're getting bored.
            Northwestern University triple major in Statistics, Mathematics, and Economics. Exams P/1 and FM/2 passed. Seeking employment in the Chicago area starting this June.

Comment

Like already said : very thourough method and great if you can stick to it. Question though : do you plan on trying to solve the problems yourself, or just understanding the solution ? If I were you, I would take time, on a regular basis, to go back to the problems for which you needed to look at the solution, just to check that you're able to solve them on your own.

Then again, I couldn't work like that. My study line usually is :
              1) study a part of the course (usually, a chapter subdivision)
              2) make sure I understand how the examples are solved (or one exercise of each type if there are no examples in the book) for the corresponding section
              3) after I finished the chapter, I do all the end of chapter exercise (eventually checking the lesson if I'm stuck, but never the solution !)
              4) check the solution, and redo the exercises I really got wrong
              5) after finishing a few chapter, go back to the exercises to check that I can still do them (if there are difficulty indications, I do the hardest ones, since I should have master the material by now)
              6) check the solution, restart the process on the parts for which I couldn't solve the problems.

Depending on previous knowledge and how much time I have available, these steps can take from 1 week to 1 month, then depending on how much there is to cover... Of course, I don't always stick to it : if I know I won't have time on evenings, I'll read the section on the train going to work, or during lunch, and won't be able to do any problem, so I'll save them for the next day (or the weekend, worst case scenario).

I'm taking P-exam in january, I'll see how that works out... Good luck to you !

Comment

thanks for the tips. i am going to start the infinite actuary seminar as well.

Comment

Still going...I had to start all over after failing in March..I am only using TIA now... I'm up to Central Limit Theorem now and taking the exam july 30th..I haven't even looked at Multivariate yet.
                  I understand a whole lot more now but still can't do a number of problems without peeking...I think I just need to spend more time and move along faster.

Comment

I think you are spending way too much time trying to do problems and not enough understanding concepts. If you know the concepts you do not need to do several exams prior to the test to pass. The actual exam will likely have few problems that look anything like what you have seen in sample examples (including the SOA 153). The actual exam tests concept only. If you understand why and not just how to do the problem you will do fine. If you only understand how to do problems, you will need to do most all of the practice exams and know how to do almost all of the problems on them if you wish to pass. Focus on concept and understanding and doing fewer problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X