This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to retake exam P?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a prelim pass today, so I'll be taking exam P again. I felt blindsided by a lot of the questions, but I guess doing even more problems will eventually prevent that feeling. Do you guys think July is a good time frame to aim for?

Giving that I've already gone through all of TIA's lessons on it, how should I proceed? Just do practice problems until then? Go back through all of the video lessons on TIA then take a month or so to do practice problems?

Thanks for any tips!

I know exactly how you feel. And I'm debating the same exact same thing as you. I took the exam yesterday and I felt the questions weren't even remotely close to anything I had seen through the nearly 400-500 problems I had done. I too used TIA and am wondering what to do as well?! I'm debating just going through the lessons quickly again, and then just finding as many problems I can work on until July.

Comment

I used this site to take practice P exams. I found them to be similar in nature to the exam i took may 25th this year. The real exam was definantly a different beast, but this helped.

http://www.saab.org/actuarial.cgi

that only opens in firefox if i rmemeber.

Comment

Originally posted by ljw5021 View Post
        Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a prelim pass today, so I'll be taking exam P again. I felt blindsided by a lot of the questions, but I guess doing even more problems will eventually prevent that feeling. Do you guys think July is a good time frame to aim for?

Giving that I've already gone through all of TIA's lessons on it, how should I proceed? Just do practice problems until then? Go back through all of the video lessons on TIA then take a month or so to do practice problems?

Thanks for any tips!
        Originally posted by trainheavy View Post
        I know exactly how you feel. And I'm debating the same exact same thing as you. I took the exam yesterday and I felt the questions weren't even remotely close to anything I had seen through the nearly 400-500 problems I had done. I too used TIA and am wondering what to do as well?! I'm debating just going through the lessons quickly again, and then just finding as many problems I can work on until July.
        Sorry to hear about that guys. I've been there for my first sitting in January and passed two months later in March. I'm wondering how comprehensive your understanding of the SOA 153 samples was? I know you rarely get any of these questions on the actual test, but they are very essential in testing your understanding. Also, I think it'd be a good idea to look for questions from other sources. Give yourself a week to take some rest and try doing all the SOA samples again, I believe your TIA subscription will still be valid until the next one, so you can contact Dave for any questions you might have. Finish off the SOA sample and go through ALL TIA problems once again, maybe try using ADAPT.
        Best of luck on your next sitting
        sigpicThe hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. ~ Albert Einstein

P FM MLC MFE C
        VEEs: Economics App. Statistics Corporate Finance

Comment

i passed the exam by studying vigorously in only 21 days. i put in 7 hrs a day of serious hardwork. i practiced all the examples and still felt that i don't know anything when i saw the exam. the important thing is that to be confident when you start the exam. good luck to all.

Comment

I didn't like TIA. There was not even one problem on those 4 free exams that helped me on a real exam.

I passed today because I used other resources. I've read here a lot of good recommendations about TIA, but I guess it's not true anymore.
            SOA 152 helps a lot.

Comment

i failed today too.... i felt blindsided for some of the questions too, and i have never seen them before.
              i've finished TIA and what should i study next for July's sitting? should i just keep doing problems and practice exams (ASM and Actex)?
              Does MLC need any of the P materials at all? cuz i'm thinking about start studying MLC while re-studying P so that i can take the November sitting for MLC before the SOA changes MLC's syllabus.

Comment

Working...
              X