This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed P exam

Just passed P exam. I was sure about 20 problems that I got correct answers. I spend 1 hour for the easiest 15 problems. And then I did the rest, got 5 problems that I was also sure about, 6 problems I had no clue at all and I guessed (marked C or D), 4 problems I got the answers that was not there and I marked those answers that were closest to my answers.

I used
    1)Probability for Risk Management Matthew J. Hassett, theory and all the problems. This book helped a lot.

2)Actex preparation manual, but I've done only theory part and problems after each paragraph that were marked as SOA&CAS. I didn't do their exams, because they looked very scary and nothing like SOA problems.
    I don't know if there were sense to buy this book, because I found the resource with way better explanations for SOA and it was free.

Here you can look at it http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~hildebr/370/

3) TIA 4 free exams. My score was 25-18-22-15. I've read a lot of good stuff about it, but this resource actually didn't help me at all. I regret that I spend my time for this website.
    There were nothing like this on exam. Thanks god I didn't spend any money for it, it cost like 400, that's insane.

4) I've done all 152 SOA problems. And I would say it was the best way to prepare for exam - do those problems. It helps a lot. They sometimes don't have good solutions explanations. And I looked at this website for solutions http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~hildebr/370/
    This guy Professor Hildebrand actually have done a very good job and his website is free.

I have a very good calculus background and I love calculus, but it was a very little usage on exam for it.

How much studying did it take before you were able to look at most problems and solve them with out peaking at the part of the solution for tips?
    Would you say on the 3rd time around trying those problems would be okay?

Comment

I'm just wondering where did all the noobs get the idea that the value of a study resource is only determined by how many "similar" problems you can find on the actual exam. Guess what? If it ain't SOA samples, you're not gonna see anything similar. The SOA manages, somehow, to get a new pool of questions on each exam like none you've seen before. Also, the point of any practice exam is to get used to the difficulty level and the time management piece, besides having the exposure to new concepts and practice problems.
      sigpicThe hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. ~ Albert Einstein

P FM MLC MFE C
      VEEs: Economics App. Statistics Corporate Finance

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy View Post
        How much studying did it take before you were able to look at most problems and solve them with out peaking at the part of the solution for tips?
        Would you say on the 3rd time around trying those problems would be okay?
        I would say that if you're reworking the same problems over and over that this is an incredibly inefficient way to actually learn the material. If you're returning to the same problems for a third time and still need to peek at the answers, I would think that it's time to go back to learning the fundamental theory behind the problems before doing a bunch more practice exams.

E.g: If you are having problems on probability questions, something like http://www.amazon.com/Applied-Combin.../dp/0471595047 might be a good investment. Similarly, if you are having a difficult time with EV calculations for multivariate distributions, a calculus textbook like Stewart (or whatever you can find at the library if you don't want to spend $100+) would be helpful.
        PJA
        Actuary.com - Level I Poster
        Last edited by PJA; June 17 2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

oh ''' i 've met the author of that book..he's a stony brook..yes you are right i need to review theory more..thanks

Comment

Hildebrand's website has a nice section on the Central Limit Theorem. Thanks. It explains the concept better than the other reference I've been using.

Comment

Working...
            X