• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, help

Deleted thread.
    NoleGrad09
    Actuary.com - Level I Poster
    Last edited by NoleGrad09; June 25 2011, 02:03 PM.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. That problem was driving me insane. Out of all the practice exams and practice problems I did, this is the only problem where I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the answer key got their answer no matter how long I thought about it or looked at their solution.

Actually, I think it has to do with the integer correction and adding or subtracting .5. However, The 95% range would be +- 9.8. The continuity correction shouldn't make that go down to 9. It's hard to remember what I did since I sold my manual.
    Hello Actuaria/ Stars
    Last edited by Hello Actuaria/ Stars; June 2 2011, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Is this question 7 on page 452? If so, it's errata. I found an errata list online.
      Hello Actuaria/ Stars
      Last edited by Hello Actuaria/ Stars; June 2 2011, 01:39 AM.

Comment

No this is question 9 (in practice exam 8) on page 470. I have the 2009 edition of ACTEX.

Comment

The probability that the number of heads is between 41 and 59 inclusive is only 93.9%. It looks like a mistake in the book.

Comment

That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by alekhine4149 View Post
              The probability that the number of heads is between 41 and 59 inclusive is only 93.9%. It looks like a mistake in the book.
              Using integer correction, then it's the probability of being between 40.5 and 59.5. Which is 94.26%. That's still too small though.

Comment

I think for sanity's sake I'm just going to chalk it up as an error in the manual. Probability gives me trouble at times and this one will only confuse me more. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Actuaria/ Stars View Post
                  Using integer correction, then it's the probability of being between 40.5 and 59.5. Which is 94.26%. That's still too small though.
                  Oops, you are right - I made a dumb mistake and I agree with your estimate. I think everybody is on the same wavelength then. It sounds like a typo (actually it even sounds like the book was within a breath of getting the correct answer).

Comment

Working...
                  X