Question about infinite series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about infinite series

hi, all... i've encountered this problem when i was doing the May 2001 P exam, and i think it's about sum of infinite series, but i do not know how they got the solution/simplification...
    they first have
    500 = 8 + 8*1.07 + 8*(1.07^2) +... + 8*(1.07 ^(m-1) )

then they have the right side equal to(simplified to)
    8*{ [1 - (1.07^m)] /[1-1.07]}

could anyone tell me what rule did they follow when they did the simplification??

thank you very much!

i also noticed that the exams from those years (2000-2003) had a lot of questions related to calculus, they do not involve probability at all (for example, asking for the slope of the tangent line at a point on a curve).

i know the P Exam right now deleted some calculus parts comparing to 2000-2003 exams, but could anyone tell me if i should still expect to see those types of calculus-oriented problems??

thank you guys very much!!

Comment

They used the formula for the sum of a geometric series. This formula will be your best friend come exam FM/2. In terms of that exam they are looking to find the number of payments m of size 8 needed to accumulate 500 at 7% compound interest.

Calculus is no longer tested directly on any of the exams, i.e., any problem where calculus needs to be used should be in relation to the syllabus material.

Comment

Working...
      X