This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This statement is unnecessary and complicated to comprehend

Why must they do this? Please help me interpret the following into something simpler.
    Twice as many of the clients have homeowners insurance as have renters insurance. This is not proper grammar. all i can try to memorize is put the 2 in front of the 2nd variable. h=2r

I used to have HUGE problems with understanding what this meant mathematically. It seems almost trivial but the grammar would confuse me big time.

H R
    2x x

I wrap my head around it like this
    First set them equal (both x) and then "adjust" the answers so that they are correct. twice as many homeowners means 2x naturally.

It seems silly to have such a small problem... but believe me... you are definitely not alone! Sometimes the hardest part of math is actually just reading :\ haha

Comment

and you have it wrong haha...it's the other way around according to the TIA solution. P[H] = P[2R]

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy View Post
        and you have it wrong haha...it's the other way around according to the TIA solution. P[H] = P[2R]
        D'oh! lol! (still have problems I guess) hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by trsspidey View Post
          D'oh! lol! (still have problems I guess) hehehe

on second review I'm right ( I am saying the same thing as the text )

if X=R (as I wrote)... then H = 2R (as the text writes)

I'm afraid I might have confused you more lol. Maybe someone can clarify better? (I totally understand your confusion though) To be fair there is nothing wrong with the grammar here. It's the translation to mathematics you're not used to. Keep at it!

EDIT:
          Is English your first language? This is pretty much like those problems you read in elementary school where jack has x amount of marbles and jill has 2x marbles. They just want the story related to either jack or jill (instead of x). Make more sense? :[
          trsspidey
          Actuary.com - Level III Poster
          Last edited by trsspidey; July 26 2011, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I am all English! and i can't make any interpretation of that sentence. i think its the ''as have'' that is throwing me off. what does 'as have' mean.
            it sounds like twice as many have homeowner compared to renters...but that's not correct. 2h = r is not correct.

Comment

"Twice as many of the clients have homeowners insurance as have renters insurance"
              This actually means for every 2 people who have homeowners insurance, there is 1 person who has renters insurance.

Is that easier for you to read?

Comment

i see it now...oh boy...
                if there's 3 people. 1 have rent 2 have home...then the probability of renters is 33% homeowners 66% in order to make them equal double the renters
                so 2r=h

Comment

Be lucky that they don't throw a statement like "twice more" at you because then you would have to triple the variable. Ha!

Let's see if my interpretation helps you.

However many clients have renters insurance, twice as many have homeowners insurance. So double the amount of renters have homeowners insurance. H = 2R. Your mind wants to take the mathematical statement H = 2R to mean that for every 1H there are 2R but you have to force it to see it for what it really means. That there are more homeowners than renters by 2 times. Just need to practice, especially with worded simultaneous equation problems to get the thinking down right.

Comment

Rewrite it in a way that'll make it easier to put into an equation format. Isolate the homeowners insurance.

Original statement: "twice as many have homeowner's insurance as have renters"

Modified: "homeowner's insurance = twice as many as have renters"

From this you can see H = 2R

Comment

said again

there are twice as many green balls as red...

if there are x red balls, then there are 2x green balls

Comment

Working...
                      X