need help with finan problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with finan problem

Hi. Can anyone help me with this problem from Finan's book?
    35.1) Let X and Y be independent random variables, both being equally likely to be any of the numbers 1, 2, ..., m. Find E(absolute value(X-Y)).
    How do you deal with the absolute value in this case? The answer is (m+1)(m-1)/(3m). Thanks.
    Last edited by Happychick90; August 12 2011, 01:02 AM.

I can't figure this one out either. Let me know if you find out the solution to solve this one. Thanks!

Comment

Happy Chick

Consider what the problem would be asking if it were not all the numbers between 1 and m. Try for 1 and 2 at first. Then try 1 and 3. Keep at it until you see what kind of pattern you get in terms of E[|x-y|]

Thats how I would approach. Hopefully that steers you in the right direction. Looking at that equation doesn't really reveal a whole lot but sometimes just acting out a problem for the first couple values will shed some light on the problem at whole.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that out.

Comment

This is how I solved it but it may sounds complicated. Set up the sample space for event (X,Y). You'll see that there m^2 possibilities. In which there are m ways for X=Y (or X-Y=0), (m-1) ways for X=Y+1, ... , 1 way X=Y+(m-1). Similar there are (m-1) ways for Y=X+1, ... , 1 way for Y=X+(m-1). So the E(|X-Y|)=2E(X-Y>0)=2*(1/m^2)*sum[k(m-k)] with k from 1 to (m-1) = 2*(1/m^2)*[sum(km) - sum(k^2)] with k from 1 to m-1.
          Recal the formula of sum(x^2) with x from 1 to n = (n/6)(n+1)(2n+1), hence sum(k^2) with k from 1 to m-1 = (1/6)*(m-1)*(m)*(2m-1). And sum(km) with k from 1 to m-1 = m*(m-1)*m/2. Next you just find the common denominator and simplify and you will get (m+1)(m-1)/(3m). Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
          X