Help with Expectation Problem Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Expectation Problem Anyone?

Let X be a random variable representing the number of times you need to roll a 6 sided die to obtain 2 consecutive 6's.

Find the E (x)

I might start

1*P[1] + 2*P[2] +3*P[3] + 4*P[4] and so on...

Doesn't look easy but it might be something to look into?

Comment

Do you mean that p (1) = the probability of 1 roll and p (2)= the probability of 2 rolls?

Comment

Yep that's what I mean. It looks like an arithmetically increasing series... Not sure if that is the easiest way to get the solution however...Where are you pulling this problem from? Actex?

Comment

got it from actuarial cbt exams........ Can you actually write it out for me or no? Its ok if you don't have the time...... appreciate your help.

Comment

I didn't understand there solution that is why I am asking.

Comment

The search features on here and AO are amazing. You should use them, it will help you with a lot of exam questions and for future work projects: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=111709&highlight=consecutive

Comment

Ok great, thank you..... So I should just type the question in the search menu for both?

Comment

Originally posted by pete2323 View Post
                  Ok great, thank you..... So I should just type the question in the search menu for both?
                  I would try to think of what words would be useful. For example I think I used "consecutive 6" or something of the sort. It's important to get good at searching. I've had to use google a lot to pull up studies for ad-hoc projects at work to give me a sense of how good my results compared to what others have done.

Comment

Working...
                  X