No announcement yet.

Integration problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, so it would have to be dx then, it would work. I haven't taken calculus in so long, If it is dy the formula does not match up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by pete2323 View Post
      Ok, so it would have to be dx then, it would work. I haven't taken calculus in so long, If it is dy the formula does not match up with it.
      You should get a refresher book. Calculus for Dummies is always a good one or something along those lines. They're cheap and hit the main points without bogging you down with too much theory that you'd find in traditional Calc. textbooks. I think some study manuals have a Calculus refresher/supplement.

Comment

Ok thank you !! What other formulas could you memorize so that you would not have to spend much time integrating by parts?

Comment

Ok thank you !! What other formulas could you memorize so that you would not have to spend much time integrating by parts?
          I didn't memorize anything related to integration for course 1. When I took it, it had a section that was exclusively dedicated to Calculus so memorizing things wasn't in your favor. If you really hate integration by parts, I would look up "tabular integration" to hopefully make it more systematic / easier.

Comment

Can you do tabular integration on x*e^[-x(1+y)] dy or dx?

Comment

Can you do tabular integration on x*e^[-x(1+y)] dy or dx?
              Tabular integration is another way to look at integration by parts so it wont help if you were integrating with respect to y. It would with respect to x but that's just a one step integration by parts.

Comment

Cool thanks, does it have to be multiple integration by parts with tabular or can it just be one step?

Comment

Cool thanks, does it have to be multiple integration by parts with tabular or can it just be one step?

Is it safe to assume you haven't looked it up yet?

Comment

No it is not safe to assume, and don't appreciate your sarcasm.....I looked up a u-tube video on it and I believe it said for multiple integration by parts.

Comment

can't they get a real actuary to post replys on here

Comment

or do they not want you to pass?

Comment

I am going to be as nice as I possibly can and then I am done replying to you:

1) No Actuary will ever spoon-feed you. Not on exams, not in your career. A lot of times you will be given projects and you will be responsible for contacting people and doing your own research.

2) "One-step" integration by parts is trivial in application of tabular integration.

3) I'm about as real as they get kid.

4) Not sure who "they" are but you may be right and now that you know about "them"... boy are you in trouble.

Comment

1) Ok, I would love to do my own research and contact people. I just do not know any actuaries. I am not asking to be spoon-fed, just would like to have someone who could lead me through a solution so that I could understand it thoroughly.

2) Ok, That is what I thought.

3)Maybe so

4) The owners of this site.

Comment

You probably just do not want a lot of people to pass the exam

Comment

Don't know how I am in trouble, but see you later pal

Comment

Working...
                                X