X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK to discuss now.

Comment

Better than 11/04 for me

Well, I can definitely say that I did a lot better on this exam than I did back in 11/04. For 24 of the questions, the answer I calculated was one of the choices (doesn't mean I got it right, but it's a good sign I guess). I had to guess on six problems and 1 of those guesses I had the problem narrowed down to two choices. It was the binomial question where it had a the summation symbols in front of the probability function. I think I choose A on that one.

How well does everyone else think they did?

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
        But the Chebyshev problem asked for P[X>8000] with mean 5000 and standard deviation 1500. Don't you need to divide 1/4 by 2 because Chebyshev's inequality gives the probablity of the absolute value. And the problem told us that the distribution is symmetric around the mean. I think that I put 0.125.
        I support Karen. I think she is right.

Comment

I agree

#1-10 were cake

But for some reason the teens got me

#20-30 were ok.

When I was studying i averaged 6 out of 10 correct. I believe I did the same for this test.

I am not sure how many we have to get right in order to pass. We will see.

Comment

I thought it was cake

Honestly, I've taken it twice before...and I dunno if it's because I prepared better this time around, but I thought it was pretty simple. Only had to guess on two problems, and they were educated guesses too - not random. I guess I'll find out in July really how "cake" it was

Comment

Can't wait to get the results, hope I passed, but I feel pretty confident that I did. I'm pretty sure I got at least 3 wrong (or at least I guessed on them), but am fairly confident in the others.

The three I guessed on, as the best I can remember:

1) What is the expected number of rolls of a fair dice to obtain three sixes.

2) The Che-something inequality. I didn't know this was going to be on the test as it wasn't in my review book and I didn't see any practice questions refering to it.

3) The last question, i believe it was, a plane has a 1/6 probabilty of being delayed, what's the probabily (using the correction method) of having at least 40 of the 180 planes delayed. Again I didn't study this too hard and actually forgot the relatively simple equation because, again I didn't come across any practice questions involving this, so I think it was a case of me forgeting that it even existed. My review book only mentioned this for about a couple of sentences.

Comment

May 2005 exams P and FM

After seeing May 2005 exam FM, I am shaken in my belief that 70% passes. This May 2005 exam FM may have been the easiest actuarial exam I have ever seen. So ... I do not know any more about this 70%. Sorry about my confusion, but I am in the state of shock and amazement after seeing this exam. There was not a single tricky, confusing question.

"Luxury" to quote from Monthy Python.

Yours,
                Krzys' Ostaszewski
                Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

It seems like everybody thinks this exam is easy. I wonder how did you guys prepared for the exam cuz I definitely think it is hard?

Comment

I remember when exam 100 and 110 were feared. They were by no stretch of the imagination "easy" in any way shape or form.

From what I am reading it seems everybody is passing. This is absolutely disgusting, as all previous ASA and FSA designations are being effectively flushed down the toilet. Is this the future of the SOA?

Comment

How did people do the question about the money market investment returns? Two independent random variables were distributed as uniform, representing the return on investments.

I multiplied the random variables by the amount invested and took their sum. The question wanted the probability this sum was above a certain amount. I used the normal approximation and got an answer that was listed. I didn't bother using a joint probability density function, and I'm not sure the sum of two independent uniform variables is enough to warrant a normal approximation.

Comment

For the money market one I believe I did it the same way you did. I think the PF for the returns would be x/5500

Comment

For the money market investment returns question, I used the joint probability density function instead of the normal approximation method. Is that alright? Will I get the same answer?

Comment

First question of exam P

Does anybody remember the first question of Exam P?

Comment

Something about the people at a firm buying none or exactly 2 of 3 insurance policies. One of three questions I guessed. ...
                              Last edited by admin; June 8 2005, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by managuense
                                IFrom what I am reading it seems everybody is passing. This is absolutely disgusting, as all previous ASA and FSA designations are being effectively flushed down the toilet. Is this the future of the SOA?
                                You're kidding, right? Making judgment calls about the future of the profession because of the first two actuarial exams? Last I checked, there's a few more than 2 to get the designations.

I've already seen you post in the upper-level exam forums, so I know you're far enough through the exam system to understand some exam discussion. Because of the perceived "easiness" of Exams P and FM, we should conclude that an FSA is the equivalent of a high school degree? Come on.

Any insight as to how Exams M and C were? How about the modules? Hm? Anything? No. You've made a conclusion that envelops the entire examination system on a few posters about the first two exams. Also, Dr. Ostazsewski has expressed his belief that the pass mark should be above 70% in this case. Does this cheapen the entire system? No.

So, before you start making sweeping generalizations of the new system, wait to gather a little data and then start making some conclusions. It's like offering a new group coverage and having their president and VP die within the next month with $1 million policies and concluding that you should raise the monthly premiums to $500K as experience shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X