This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Exam P Reviewer

Which manual/textbook is the most effective study guide for Exam P?
    1. Hasset's Probability for Risk Management
    2. Bean's Probability the Science of Uncertainty
    3. Mendenhall's Mathematical Statistics
    4. BPP course notes, flashcards, Q&A bank
    5. ACTEX study manual, flashcards, DVD seminar
    6. ASM study manual
    7. CSM study manual
    8. Averbach's/Temple study manual
    9. Ramanathan's study guide
    10. Yufeng Guo's Deeper Understanding, Faster Calculation
    Hasset's Probability for Risk Management
    0.00%
    Bean's Probability: the Science of Uncertainty
    5.56%
    Mendenhall's Mathematical Statistics
    0.00%
    BPP course notes, flashcards, Q&A bank
    22.22%
    ACTEX study manual, flashcards, DVD seminar
    33.33%
    ASM study manual
    0.00%
    CSM study manual
    0.00%
    Averbach's/Temple study manual
    11.11%
    Ramanathan's study guide
    16.67%
    Guo's Deeper Understanding, Faster Calculation
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

I took course 1 exam in May of 2005. I'm not sure how much the syllabus has changed, but I used Sheldon Ross's "A 1st Course in probability" as my sole source of information. I'd guess that no one else would recommend doing this, but it worked for me.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

I used the Actex manual. I did not have the flash cards or the CD. I liked the Actex manual and I would recommend it to anyone. If you don't have a background in probability you might need another manual or text to supplement it.

Comment

Guys, please vote. This is for the benefit of future takers of exams.

Comment

I used Ramathan's and I liked it, although there were some bad things about it. The good thing was that I thought it was really easy to read and follow and did a good job at present formulas. The bad thing was that it wasn't quite complete. It had no mention of Chev-something inequality (it was on the test this year) and only had a brief mention of the continuity correction and as I recall no practice problems involving this. Also there were times when showing solutions to examples that steps were skipped and there is no mention of how he got from one answer to another. All in all, compared to 2 other review books I had (forget the names but my brother gave them to me when he took the test 2 years ago) I'd give it a 7 out of 10, the other two books got about a 5 out of 10.

Comment

I just did old test problems and used the text from my math stat class (Hogg, McKean, Craig) as a reference. Almost everything on the syllabus was covered in the first quarter of my class. The homework/test problems in my class had a completely different tone though so basically I found just doing the old problems to be a good way to study.

Comment

For the record, I took Course 1 in Spring 2004 and used the past exams + Schaum's Notes + class in continuous probability.

Comment

Careful with textbooks

I used the Actex study manual and Hassett's textbook. The Actex manual was great, but the material in Hassett was FAR too easy. Use it only if you've had no introduction to probability.

Comment

Working...
                X