Events have transpired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events have transpired...

I want to start off by thanking everyone on here for all the advice and help you have given me...

Three things have happened in the past week that have put me at another crossroads. I don't want to bore anyone with the details so I'll try to be brief:

1. There is a regime change in the works at my school (the administrator who has made my life almost a literal living '''' is leaving) (I even tried to transfer last year but they told me that there were no math openings at the high school level which was a total lie, I work in a big district and met some of the newly hired math teachers(5 of them) at a meeting at the beginning of the year) (and I seriously felt backed into a wall and hated the thought of being a teacher if I had to work for this person even one more year) (and the reason I started contemplating a career change was almost solely based on how this person was treating me) (I just reread this part and it sounds like whining and it probably is but this person has to be one of the most vindictive and spiteful people I know, and believe me I pray for this person that he/she will change). I actually hated going to work, which in my four short years of teaching had never happened...which leads me to:
    2. A parent of one of my students told me that he believes I am the main reason why his daughter is going to graduate this year, because of all the phone calls home I made to see why she wasn't at school and helping her figure out her schedule and all the really little intangible things that add up but you never really notice, and I wouldn't consider myself a very emotional person (ask my wife, I am closer to a robot), but that really got me, and it made me remember why I wanted to be a teacher in the first place, not to only teach mathematics (believe me I love math), but to help young people and (here's the cliche) change the world...
    3. And lastly and most importantly, I realized just last night just how much my marriage is suffering because of my constant studying (and with something like 8 or 9 tests, over the course of several years, I only see it getting worse), and my wife (who is the greatest person in the world and who I love more than life itself) has been my biggest fan and she would never tell me to quit this endeavor (she just wants me to be happy, and I am happiest when she is happy, and I can tell she hasn't been happy the past few months)...

So alas I am going to stop for now. And this decision was not made lightly, and it may look like I am giving up, but even in the altogether highly unlikely event that my "unofficial" not pass becomes an "official" pass by the skin of my teeth (which I know is not going to happen), I am still no longer going to pursue a career in the field of actuarying. I truly appreciate this community of people, and I hope only good things for all of you in the future...God bless.

Raymond-
    As a former high school Mathematics teacher I REALLY understand everything that you have and are going through. I, too, wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Stop by the site once in awhile and let us know how things are going.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]Waz[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [COLOR="Navy"]_________________________[/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Navy"]The trick is to stay hungry.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Luxury Yacht View Post
      So alas I am going to stop for now. And this decision was not made lightly, and it may look like I am giving up
      I don't think anyone that read most of your posts thinks that you are giving up. I am glad that things are getting better for you at work. The world needs great teachers that make a difference like you did and now will continue to do.

Comment

Working...
      X