X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exam P questions

Hello. I have the following questions.

1. Let X, Y and Z be three independently and indenticallly distributed continious random variables. Find P(X<=Y<=Z)
    Ans choices: (A) 1/6 (B) 1/5 (c) 1/4 (d) 1/3 (e) 1/2

2. Let X be a discrete random variable with moment generating function

M_x(t) = 1/(2-t) + summation(j = 0 ---> infinity) e^(tj-1)/(2j!)

Note: tj = t multipled by j.

Ans choices: (A) 1-e^-1 (b) 0.5(1-e^-1) (c) 1/2 + summation (j=0-->infinity)(e^(t*j-1)/2*j! (d) 0.5(1-e^-1+e^-2) (e) 1/2

3. At a party, 9 people put their hats in the center of a room where the hats are mixed together. Each person then randomly selects one hat. Denote X the number of people who select their own hat. Find Var(X)

Ans choices: (A) 4 (B) 3 (c) 2 (d) 1 (e) 0.5

4. Mary pruchases an auto insurance policy fron an insurance company which covers partial damage or total loss of her car for one year period. This policy is subject to a deductible of $1000, and a maximum payment of $10,000. During the policy year the probability o f a partial damage to Mary's car is 0.04 and the prob of total loss of her car is 0.02. If there is partial damage to her car, the amount of damage X follows a distribution with the density function
    f(x) = 1/12500, xbelongs to (0,12500), 0 otherwise

Ans choices: (A) 408 (B) 410 (c) 424 (d) 450 (e) 550

For the above questions, I made strong efforts towards obtaining a solution, but I still did not obtain the answer listed in the above choices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Ok, since I don't actually see a question in #4, I'm guessing it is something akin to "Find the expected payment by the insurer." We need to break it up into what is paid in a partial loss and what is paid in a total loss. Let X stand for a loss.

Payment made in partial loss =
    0, x < 100
    x - 1000, 100<x<10000
    10000, x>10000

You probably already see why this is because 0 will be paid in the presence of a $100 deductible for losses less than $100, and $10000 is the capped payment. Now we must find the expected payment under partial loss over these three regions using the appropriate loss function.

1st integration: 0

2nd integration: (x-1000)/12500 -->3240

For the third region, notice that a constant amount will be paid for losses above 10000. So, we don't need to perform an integration; and thus, the expected payment over this region = 10000(1-F(10000))=2000

So, under a partial loss, the expected payment is:
    Probability of partial loss occurrence * (0 + 3240 + 2000) = .04 * 5240 =209.6

Now, for the total loss, we already know that the insurer will pay at most $10000.
    So, under a total loss, the expected payment is:
    Probability of total loss occurrence * 10000 = .02 * 10000 = 200.

Add these two expected payments --> 200+ 209.6 = 409.6 ~ $410.

If someone sees something I messed up, please show me. Otherwise, I hope this helps, and God Bless on the studying for the test!

Also, what is the actual question for #2? I don't know if I will be able to help on that, though . . .
    Last edited by .Godspeed.; June 18 2005, 05:51 PM.
    act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Question #2 on previous post

sorry, question 2 asks to find P(X>=1)

Comment

Did that help?

Comment

Originally posted by audia4

3. At a party, 9 people put their hats in the center of a room where the hats are mixed together. Each person then randomly selects one hat. Denote X the number of people who select their own hat. Find Var(X)

Bump.

I think Prof. Ostaszewski's 7/16/05 exercise could help with your problem:

http://www.math.ilstu.edu/krzysio/7-...O-Exercise.pdf

Comment

1. Let X, Y and Z be three independently and indenticallly distributed continious random variables. Find P(X<=Y<=Z)

Ans choices: (A) 1-e^-1 (b) 0.5(1-e^-1) (c) 1/2 + summation (j=0-->infinity)(e^(t*j-1)/2*j! (d) 0.5(1-e^-1+e^-2) (e) 1/2
            Hmmm, #1 and #2 also look extremely similar to Prof. Ostaszewski's 7/2/05 and 7/9/05 practice exercises:

http://www.math.ilstu.edu/krzysio/7-2-5-KO-Exercise.pdf
            http://www.math.ilstu.edu/krzysio/7-9-5-KO-Exercise.pdf

audia, are you using study material he wrote?

Comment

Your question 1 is already answered

Dear audia4:

Your question 1 is already answered in my exercise for July 2, see the sticky
              thread at the top of exam P/1 area in this forum. Look it up.

Yours,
              Krzys' Ostaszewski

Hello. I have the following questions.

4. Mary pruchases an auto insurance policy fron an insurance company which covers partial damage or total loss of her car for one year period. This policy is subject to a deductible of $1000, and a maximum payment of $10,000. During the policy year the probability o f a partial damage to Mary's car is 0.04 and the prob of total loss of her car is 0.02. If there is partial damage to her car, the amount of damage X follows a distribution with the density function
              f(x) = 1/12500, xbelongs to (0,12500), 0 otherwise

Ans choices: (A) 408 (B) 410 (c) 424 (d) 450 (e) 550

For the above questions, I made strong efforts towards obtaining a solution, but I still did not obtain the answer listed in the above choices.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
              Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Working...
              X