This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple note + many exercise?

Do you agree that get a good result in SOA exam must read a Text Book?
    Just read simple note and do a lot of exercise is also work?

Some people only use study manuals to study for their exams. Some people study only by the texts. I use both the text and study manuals.

You do not need to read the texts to do well on the exam, but it's my opinion that they help.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Preparing for the exams

I cannot comment on the authors of other manuals, but I write my manuals (ASM for exam P, NEAS for exams FM and M) so that the reader does not need anything else. I believe the proper way to study for the mathematical exams (first four) is to first read all of the material with understanding, and then torture yourself with many practice problems.

For the later exams, which will be disappearing anyway, the proper way to study and take exams is to write practice exam questions based on readings, and really, really make sure on the test that you write something reasonable for every question, not wasting time to be perfect on any question. In particular, if you get one piece wrong, go ahead and use its result for later parts anyway -- you will get partial credit. But that's for later exams.

For the first four exams, the day you take the test, you should have experience of having taken practice exams under test-like circumstances at least three times. There are many exercises in my ASM manual, plus six practice exams, I plan to have eight practice exams in the next ASM manual edition.

Yours,
      Krzys' Ostaszewski
      Want to know how to pass actuarial exams? Go to: smartURL.it/pass

Comment

Latter Exams Disappearing???

[QUOTE=krzysio]
        For the later exams, which will be disappearing anyway, . . . .

What do you mean by this? Are they going to do away with all of the latter exams? Will they be replaced by something else? What will be the new method to acheive Associate & Fellow? Will CAS & SOA both be doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by gbarber
          Originally posted by krzysio
          For the later exams, which will be disappearing anyway, . . . .

What do you mean by this? Are they going to do away with all of the latter exams? Will they be replaced by something else? What will be the new method to acheive Associate & Fellow? Will CAS & SOA both be doing this?
          A sufficient response to this could take hours to type. I'll try and give a summary:

Only the SOA, in the immediate future, is revising its education system. Exams P, FM, M and C are the first phase of this redesign. All of these tests differ from their 2000 system counterparts, some more than others.

The next phase is implementing modules and other exams in place of the upper-level SOA exams. Currently, after the first 4 exams are taken, one needs credit for Courses 5, 6, 7 & 8 and complete a Professional Development requirement before one is eligible to become a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries. After the redesign, one will need to first complete a set of 8 Internet-based modules plus 2 exams. This is called the FAP (Fundamentals of Actuarial Principles) section. You are eligible for Associateship in the Society of Actuaries following the completion of the FAP modules & tests. After this, you must complete a set of FSA modules and do a capstone module/project upon completion of the set of modules. After that, you must then complete 2 more exams, Exams DP (Design & Pricing) and CSP (Company/Sponsor Perspective) to become eligible for your FSA.

More information on the SOA Education Redesign can be found on their website, under "Education Redesign/Resources".

Comment

Working...
          X