Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different Brands--making my head spin

Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed already somewhere, but I'm not having any luck finding it. Please forgive my newbie-ness...but it took me a while just to understand which exam to take first. Anyway, I plan to take the SOA exam P in november. Now I'm totally confused as to which study guide to buy. Do I want the ASM? the Actex? Broverman? Ramanathan?

And do I need a calculus review book? I majored in math in college, but that was 4 years ago.

Thank you so much,
    Sara

Originally posted by RiverDragon View Post
    Hi all,

I'm sure this has been discussed already somewhere, but I'm not having any luck finding it. Please forgive my newbie-ness...but it took me a while just to understand which exam to take first. Anyway, I plan to take the SOA exam P in november. Now I'm totally confused as to which study guide to buy. Do I want the ASM? the Actex? Broverman? Ramanathan?

And do I need a calculus review book? I majored in math in college, but that was 4 years ago.

Thank you so much,
    Sara
    Hey Sara,

I was in the same boat. Did Comp Sci in school and didn't take any math in the past 5 years. I got Actex manual and the first chapter was a review of all i needed to know... double integrals, derivatives, etc. About 10 pages quickly brought everything back and within a week math aspect of it wasn't a problem. I finished Actex and the got ASM - the difficulty of the exams closer resemble those on exam. I only did exams 1-5, I feel like 6-10 aren't necessary to pass, only need them if you want to pass with a 10 I think if you can score over 25 on exams 1-5 you should be good as I was this Friday.
    Not sure about Broverman and Ramanathan. Many say Guo's manual is pretty helpful with much needed shortcuts.

Hope this helps
    -Ingvar
    The only democracy in the Arab world is France.

Comment

Thanks Ingvar... I decided to order the ASM exam P study guide and the Actex Calculus review. I hope that's all I'll need for now.

Comment

Working...
      X