This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect?

I'm taking Exam P in September, but I'm not really sure what to expect. I know that the test is three hours long & that now it is going to be done via computer at a testing place, but how many questions are there going to be on the test? Am I really expected to finish the entire test or just as many questions as possible? How many correct questions answered usually result in a passing grade? If anyone could give me advice on how to approach the upcoming test, that would be great!
    Last edited by Sujuju; August 15 2005, 08:29 PM.

You should always aim to finish all the problems. I think the pass score was around 18/30, but it's hard to say since the exam hasn't been released. Since the exam is very new, it's hard to say how the next exam will be. I think you should be able to do about 10 problems an hour.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

I took exam P in May. There were 30 questions. I prepared for the exam by getting an Actex review manual. I reworked and reworked the problems until I could do 95% of the problems in the book without looking at the solution. I absolutely recommend this method. There were many questions on the real exam that I immediately knew how to do because I had seem similar ones, just with different numbers.

This will be a slow process. In the beginning, it was taking me a long time to get through each problem. But I would say that I went through the book and did every problem 10 times.

Start taking full-length exams about a month before the test. Give yourself 3 hours. (If the book has less that 30 problems, give yourself less time). I was discouraged until 2 weeks before the exam. But as the exam date neared, stuff started to click for me.

So work, work and rework problems and you will pass this exam!!!

Comment

So, Karen, did you pass?

Because that's exactly what I've been doing, but my confidence is still very low. I've gone through the Actex manual and the ASM manual probably a half dozen times each, done all the questions and memorized all the distributions and most of the formulas, (even the bivariate normal, which is such a pain). The last time I took a couple of practice exams under testing conditions I got 23-24 right but I am still shaking in my boots about this exam.

Comment

Originally posted by robertr24
          So, Karen, did you pass?

Because that's exactly what I've been doing, but my confidence is still very low. I've gone through the Actex manual and the ASM manual probably a half dozen times each, done all the questions and memorized all the distributions and most of the formulas, (even the bivariate normal, which is such a pain). The last time I took a couple of practice exams under testing conditions I got 23-24 right but I am still shaking in my boots about this exam.
          I did pass. I absolutely understand your concerns. I have never seen an ASM exam P sample test, but a 23-24 is good. I think that I would have failed most of my practice exams, as I was scoring below 60%. But I found the real exam to be easier than the Actex exam. If you can do most of the problems in the Actex book, you should be set for the exam. From what you have described, you sound prepared. But even if you are 100% prepared, if you are like me, you will still be nervous going into the exam! Good Luck!!!

Comment

Your words are very encouraging. Yes, I will definitely still be nervous going into the exam and probably will continue to be stressed out until it's over, but knowing you thought the test was actually a bit easier than the problems in Actex makes me feel a little bit better. Congratulations, by the way.

Comment

Working...
            X