Banner Ad 1

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difficulty (w/o discussion of questions)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rup
    replied
    not sure

I think I am not confident about my exam 1/P result. I may need to take it again. I am trying to learn 3 minutes strategy. Can anybody help me which manual would be good?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• AJSeagles3
    replied
    I studied for the May exam mostly by boning up on my calculus and mixing in some probability. It wasn't nearly enough.

This time, I got the BPP stuff and ran the whole gamut (9 chapters, end of chapter questions & detailed solutions, online test, then Q&A bank questions). I also made flash cards as I was going through (felt it helps me more than buying the flash cards from them), and then did all the SOA practice problems. For a finale on Sunday, I took both BPP online comprehensive exams.

I went from answering 18 questions with questionable confidence to answering 29 with lots of confidence. I would recommend the BPP stuff to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• stillwater
    replied
    Originally posted by robertr24
    Unfortunately, no, I'm not entirely confident on the 23 or 24 I finished. Partly because I had to work through one particular problem (of course I won't say which one) about three times to get an answer, which ate up about fifteen minutes.

Also, I don't know if anyone else had similar experiences while preparing, but so often I would work out a question and be extremely confident, only to find that I made an arithmetical mistake or something like that and got the wrong answer, which was included as a choice anyway.

I'm just extremely disappointed because I really thought I was prepared and I guess I just wasn't. I recognized the "type" of every question, but it was almost like recognizing a stranger that you've had conversations with numerous times, only to forget their name or where they're from. For some reason, the "shape" of several questions was altered just enough for me to be confused about them.

I feel like a quarterback after he's lost the championship, mostly because of how much I studied all spring and summer. Jeez, I'm really sorry to pout and ramble. I'll shut up now.
    I took the exam this morning and I didn't have enough time to finish all the problems either. I did about 26/27 and guessed 3/4. And I just have exact the same problem as you. I always make arithmetical mistakes. sometimes I write down 1-P(x) on the scratch paper, then after computing P(x), I would happily and stupidly forgot about the '1-' part and choose the wrong choice. so just like you, I'm not confident about the 26/27 that I had either.
    Well if I have to take it again, there's nothing I can complain about, coz I started preparing for it (I don't have any study material, but the "first course in probablity" book and the sample problems from SOA website) last Friday and last time I touched probablity and calculus was like 3 or 4 years ago. I guess that's why I make a lot of mistakes when integrating things. I spent the first 3/4 days reading the book and worked on the problem set on Monday and Tuesday. Anyways, it's over, at least for this time... =P

Leave a comment:

• The shadow
    replied
    Test difficulty

I felt that the test was on the easy side. I had about 50 minutes left after my 1st run although there were 2 questions that I wasn't sure of. One of them simply
    made no sense.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I took the test yesterday. I did study a bit, but I'd been out of the field for twenty years. Considering it's been that long since I've dealt with any of these type of questions, I did well. I spent a lot of time on one question, which really threw me off. I did get to all but two of the questions, but I'm not confident in most answers. Looks like I'll be back in the seat in another few months!!!

Leave a comment:

• robertr24
    replied
    Originally posted by .Godspeed.
    I don't know, I'm studying for a different one, but answering 23 or 24 of 30 (confidently?) doesn't seem that bad.
    Unfortunately, no, I'm not entirely confident on the 23 or 24 I finished. Partly because I had to work through one particular problem (of course I won't say which one) about three times to get an answer, which ate up about fifteen minutes.

Also, I don't know if anyone else had similar experiences while preparing, but so often I would work out a question and be extremely confident, only to find that I made an arithmetical mistake or something like that and got the wrong answer, which was included as a choice anyway.

I'm just extremely disappointed because I really thought I was prepared and I guess I just wasn't. I recognized the "type" of every question, but it was almost like recognizing a stranger that you've had conversations with numerous times, only to forget their name or where they're from. For some reason, the "shape" of several questions was altered just enough for me to be confused about them.

I feel like a quarterback after he's lost the championship, mostly because of how much I studied all spring and summer. Jeez, I'm really sorry to pout and ramble. I'll shut up now.

Leave a comment:

• AJSeagles3
    replied
    I got through 27 questions with very much confidence with 15 minutes to spare. I got through 2 of the remaining 3 on 2nd pass with only slightly less confidence. 1 question I just ended up completely guessing on.

This was my 2nd time taking the exam, and I had studied like a fiend, all on my own and mostly with BPP study materials.

Leave a comment:

• Irish Blues
    replied
    Agreed. Maybe it doesn't come when you first look at the question - in that case, skip it for the moment and go on. But the 2nd or 3rd time around, it should start to make sense and you should be able to work it. If at the end you're still looking at questions and you have no clue, it's a sign you weren't prepared enough - and probably a good indicator of how you're going to fare when scores are released.

Leave a comment:

• krzysio
    replied
    Problems that require thought?

As I see it, if there is a problem on this test that requires thought, you are not prepared. Thinking must be done before the exam. On the exam, thinking is the last resort of the unprepared. I am not trying to be harsh, I am trying to give a realistic picture of what the proper level of preparation is.

Your words:
    "You should be able to recognize the problem as something you've done before and know how to set up the problem."

I call this the BTDT Rule: "Been There Done That."

All the best on the exam.
    Yours,
    Krzys' Ostaszewski

Originally posted by Ken
    The only trick I know is skipping problems that require any thought. Circle it in your exam booklet, mark a random answer on your scantron (so you don't end up with an off by one error all the way down your answer sheet and/or you don't have time at the end to come back to it,) and move on.

The only way to practice speed is to practice. You should be able to recognize the problem as something you've done before and know how to set up the problem. The rest is just algebra.

Leave a comment:

• Ken
    replied
    The only trick I know is skipping problems that require any thought. Circle it in your exam booklet, mark a random answer on your scantron (so you don't end up with an off by one error all the way down your answer sheet and/or you don't have time at the end to come back to it,) and move on.

The only way to practice speed is to practice. You should be able to recognize the problem as something you've done before and know how to set up the problem. The rest is just algebra.

Leave a comment:

• sateach
    replied
    I also took the exam yesterday and could not finish. Any advice from the veterans on how speed can be practiced. I tried to practice as many new questions as possible, always working against the clock, but still find it hard.
    Please provide advice on any shortcuts you have discovered. I will respond with some myself if this tread goes that way.

Leave a comment:

• .Godspeed.
    replied
    I don't know, I'm studying for a different one, but answering 23 or 24 of 30 (confidently?) doesn't seem that bad.

Leave a comment:

• robertr24
    started a topic Difficulty (w/o discussion of questions)

Difficulty (w/o discussion of questions)

Did anyone else think the exam was pretty tough? I was doing really well on the practice tests but I think I only answered 23 or 24 of them today, had to guess on the rest. I'm definitely disappointed. But maybe I'm just being negative. It's a real bummer that we have to wait six weeks for the results.
Working...
X