Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P1 Discussion May 2008!

It's ok to dicuss the exam now...the mods said ok. Anyone get a
    Bayes questions for their first? Something about finding the p of Female smokers?
    Last edited by edt966; May 19 2008, 11:45 PM.

Go

It's funny, I just realized I don't remember any of my questions except for something with a quadratic similar to:

2X - X^2 < 1

with a standard normal.

/racks brain
    ________
    Aprilia RS50
    Last edited by prufer; January 21 2011, 12:55 PM.
    :Waldo:

Comment

Go

Okay, another one. A and B are mutually exclusive. C and D are mutually exclusive.

P(A) given
      P(C) given?
      P(A intersect C) given

Find P(B intersect D).

I thinkkk that was it.
      ________
      Triumph Model R
      Last edited by prufer; January 21 2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

what i remember

i had a gamma question, no weibul pareto lognormal beta or chi square.
        one mgf
        no multivariate transformation or bivariate normal
        a lot of bivariate discretes, way more than I expected, but they were ok
        im blanking on the rest

Comment

There's always a question or two that I ponder after the test. I think I may have to break out the calculator and filler paper once more before taking a break. :unsure:

Comment

Go

Oh oh oh! Did anyone get one about a mgf that listed three properties and asked which must be true? And the choices were something like

a) i and ii
            b) ii and iii
            c) i and ii and iii
            d) ii and iii
            e) i and iii

?
            ________
            trichome
            Last edited by prufer; January 21 2011, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Hey Prufer, I had both those questions.

The only other question I remember for sure (because it was short) was: Two people arrange to meet sometime between 4 and 5 pm. They each arrive at different times. What's the probability that the first person to arrive will have to wait at least 20 minutes for the other person?

Comment

Originally posted by prufer View Post
                Oh oh oh! Did anyone get one about a mgf that listed three properties and asked which must be true? And the choices were something like

a) i and ii
                b) ii and iii
                c) i and ii and iii
                d) ii and iii
                e) i and iii

?
                oh yea. i did get one like that too.

Also i got one where you have X following a normal distribution of mean 5 and standard deviation 1 or something, and then you have to find the probability that 8X - X^2 < 1. I didn't know how to do this one...

Comment

Go

Originally posted by cron View Post
                  oh yea. i did get one like that too.

Also i got one where you have X following a normal distribution of mean 5 and standard deviation 1 or something, and then you have to find the probability that 8X - X^2 < 1. I didn't know how to do this one...

I think I had st.dev. = 2. I set the inequality equal to 0 and used the quadratic formula to find the two values of X. Then I plugged both of those into the standard normal equation with whatever it fit into, > or <, and added (or subtracted, I forgot) the two numbers I got from the chart. Not sure if it was the right thing to do, though!
                  ________
                  Toyota Supra

Comment

Go

I also remember one that wasn't too complicated once you sifted through the odd explanation. It was about a town with the city hall located at the origin, and residents could only walk to the building in parallel lines to the x- and y-axis. I think it asked you to find the expected value of the distance traveled by a resident.
                    ________
                    buy silver surfer

Comment

Hmm I can only remember the simpler ones. I had a question that stated 4 people were wearing hats. If each takes off their hat and randomly puts back on a hat, what is the probability that none of the four are wearing their original hat?

Comment

I also remember one that wasn't too complicated once you sifted through the odd explanation. It was about a town with the city hall located at the origin, and residents could only walk to the building in parallel lines to the x- and y-axis. I think it asked you to find the expected value of the distance traveled by a resident.
                        I had that as my last question. I could've sworn that they threw in something about the population density varying with the distance from city hall as well. That really threw me off.

Comment

Go

Originally posted by irvineposse View Post
                          Hmm I can only remember the simpler ones. I had a question that stated 4 people were wearing hats. If each takes off their hat and randomly puts back on a hat, what is the probability that none of the four are wearing their original hat?

Me too!

________
                          Honda ZB50

Comment

a) i and ii
                            b) ii and iii
                            c) i and ii and iii
                            d) ii and iii
                            e) i and iii

?
                            I had that...I think 2 of them were correct. I know that C*Mx(t) is not a mgf.

Comment

Okay, another one. A and B are mutually exclusive. C and D are mutually exclusive.

P(A) given
                              P(C) given?
                              P(A intersect C) given

Find P(B intersect D).

I thinkkk that was it.
                              Yeah that's it. Did you get an answer for it? I got 0.05 but it was weird how I got it. My thoughts were A= AandC + AandD; B= BandC + BandD; The question said A or B has to happen and C or D has to happen.

Therefore
                              P(A')=P(B) and P(C')=P(D). I was a little unsure about it.

I didn't have a single Bayes, just a bunch of "find the cdf for". I actually had a bunch of tricky deductible problems, I don't remember what they are.

Oh did anyone have this...
                              N is distributed Poisson with variance lambda. Lambda is uniformly distributed over [0,3]. What is the mean of N?
                              Answers: A)lambda B)2*Lambda C) 1 D) 1.5 E) 3

I picked A). I was confused because it seemed to easy.
                              Last edited by Charles.Lindberg; May 20 2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X