X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guo's QuickStart Online Course: For February 2006 Exam P

I'm teaching an online course for February 2006 Exam P. Key features:

Tuition: $325.
    Length: 11/14/2005 to 2/12/2006 (12 weeks long)
    4 full-length timed online mock exams simulating CBT (computer based testing)
    Over 100 timed online problems simulating CBT
    Over 100 offline problems
    Discussion forum

The required manual for this online course is my "Deeper Understanding."

For details and demo of online quiz, see http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/sa...2010-26-05.pdf

My website is http://www.guo.coursehost.com

Yufeng Guo

Has it been confirmed that Exam P will be offered in Feb 2006? Will there be an April-ish offering as well?

Can you give any references from previous students?

ETA: I live in London, what time(s) will the mock exams take place, and will there be any interactive chats?

Comment

Questions about my online course

2006 Exam P test dates: SOA hasn't firmed the dates yet. Most likely, Exam P will be offered 4 times in 2006: late February (possibly the 3rd week), May, August, and November. If you don't take the February exam, you can take it in May.

Mock exam. Unlike quizzes and exams given in a classroom, my online quizzes and mock exams don't have a set start time. Students can take a quiz any time during the week when the quiz is offered. Similarly, students can take a mock exam any time during the final 2 weeks of this class. One student can take the mock exam 8:00 am, while another one can take the same mock exam at 11 pm. This is one benefit of an online course. You learn at your own pace as long as you finish your assignments (reading and solving online and offline quizzes) for that week.

Interactive chat: My website has this functionality, but I was planning not to use it for now. Students are from different time zones and it's hard to have a real time chat. However, my website has a discussion forum.

Reference. This is the 1st time that I offer an online course. I taught law at college for 4 years before becoming an actuary. Teaching is not new to me, but this is my 1st online class.

Hope this addresses your questions.

Yufeng Guo

Comment

Thank you Yufeng Guo,
        That is helpful! I went to the actuarial bookstore to look at your textbook to see if your teaching styles might be compatible with my studying needs and it mentions a free sample of the text - unfortunately I cannot find where to download it from? Also, how many pages is the text?

I have to think about this - is the class nearing full, or can I wait to register?

Comment

online class

Sample chapter of my P manual: http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/sa...e%206-8-05.pdf

If you plan to take Exam P in May 2006, you can take my next online class, which starts in March 2006.

Yufeng Guo

Comment

Originally posted by Yufeng Guo
            Sample chapter of my P manual: http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/sa...e%206-8-05.pdf

If you plan to take Exam P in May 2006, you can take my next online class, which starts in March 2006.

Yufeng Guo
            I'm not sure when I'll take it - I was going to sit it in September this year, but cancelled about a week before as I was nowhere near ready. I was hoping there would be a March sitting - but February would not be terrible. May seems too far out. But it is good to know that option is there. THank you for your help.

Comment

Dear Yufeng,
              I signed up for the course yesterday and was wondering when I will be contacted with the information to be able to log on and download the required material. I know the class starts in 3 days. Thank you for your reply.
              Peace,
              Dana S. Gaudet

Comment

Guo's online course for Feb 2006 Exam P -- starts 11/14

I have limited seats open for my online class for Feb 2006 Exam P. It starts next Monday. The last chance to register is next week.

The required book is my spring 2006 Edition P manual. http://www.actuarialbookstore.com/sa...e%206-8-05.pdf

If you enrolled in this class, please do the 1st assignment. In addition, send me a one-page intro about yourself. I will combine everyone's intro into a PDF and distribute it to the class. I will email password to you by 11/14.

Comment

Can you tell me how to get my material? I want to get ready for the course and my e-mail is [email protected]. I registered for your course and have not heard anything.
                  Thanks and Peace,
                  Dana S. Gaudet
                  Last edited by Scaggs69; November 12 2005, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Mr. Guo, are you still around?
                    I'm looking at your practice test, and your solution to problem #2, kind of lost(frustrated) on understanding one of your maneuvers. Not sure I understand why dy is important, that is, you're placing the median within <y, (y, y+dy), >y+dy, but I'm sure why the parameters dy are particularly useful. Please help, thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X