X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About the CBT

Just wondering about the CBT...
    For those who took the exam last September, how do you find the exam?
    • Can you skip questions that you cannot answer at once?
    • How do you choose your answer? Do you type it using a specialized/ordinary keyboard or do you use a mouse?
    • Are you given scratch papers to use for your solutions? Don't you find it annoying to solve when there is a keyboard to obstruct your writing space?
    • Is the time limit reasonable?
    • Do you prefer it over the traditional pen & paper exam?
    • Why can't the computer give your score right after the exam? Why can't it check your answers during the exam?

Feel free to give your comments & suggestions.
    Last edited by roy14; November 3 2005, 04:53 AM.

The GRE is done the same way now and they do give you your answer right after the test.

The reason the Exam P computers don't do this is because your score doesn't just depend on how many right/wrong answers you get but also how well everyone else does - which the computer doesn't know.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say - sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by roy14
        Just wondering about the CBT...
        For those who took the exam last September, how do you find the exam?
        • Can you skip questions that you cannot answer at once?
        • How do you choose your answer? Do you type it using a specialized/ordinary keyboard or do you use a mouse?
        • Are you given scratch papers to use for your solutions? Don't you find it annoying to solve when there is a keyboard to obstruct your writing space?
        • Is the time limit reasonable?
        • Do you prefer it over the traditional pen & paper exam?
        • Why can't the computer give your score right after the exam? Why can't it check your answers during the exam?

Feel free to give your comments & suggestions.
        1) You can skip questions which is a very nice feature. You can see an overview of how many questions you marked and how many you didn't.
        2) You just use the mouse to select a radio button.
        3) They give you scratch paper and two pencils. I ran out of space on my scratch paper and my pencils became dull so that was annoying since to get new ones wastes precious time.
        4) The time limit is reasonable but I was working down to the last second checking and rechecking my answers.

The keyboard didn't really get in the way since I just moved it out of the way. One disadvantage was the normal distribution table is on the computer which makes it tougher to find the number you are looking for.

Good luck on your studying.
        Last edited by mmvii; November 16 2005, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Tutorial

Before the exam, they run you through a tutorial on how to use the software, (which is not included in the three hour exam time, obviously). However, you can find the same tutorial online so you know EXACTLY what to expect before you even get to the testing site. Search the SOA website for Exam P information and you'll eventually find the appropriate link. I don't quite remember where on their website I found it.

Comment

Originally posted by sszpakowski
            However, you can find the same tutorial online so you know EXACTLY what to expect before you even get to the testing site. Search the SOA website for Exam P information and you'll eventually find the appropriate link. I don't quite remember where on their website I found it.
            The online tutorial is at http://www.beanactuary.org/exams/prob_exam.cfm. Scroll down to "Step 6: Check Out the CBT Tutorial" and follow the instructions.

Comment

Working...
            X