This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salaries

Can anyone comment on whether or not the pay scales put out by DW Simpson are worthwhile? I am just wondering if these are reasonable or not. I would like to use their publication to show my employer that I should be paid more(don't worry I will be tactful with it). The pay scales I am referring to can be found at this website:

http://www.actuaryjobs.com/salary.html

If someone has a general sense of the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of these salaries or just want to comment on where their salary falls on this scale (ie above, below, or fit into the scale) please respond. I am specifically interested in the lesser experience end of the scales. I would also appreciate any insight into how much the size and type of the company and the amount of time given to study for exams should affect salary (I am not in a study program and therefore am doing work full time). I appreciate any responses.
    Last edited by bv12; December 9 2005, 01:51 PM.

Originally posted by bv12
    Can anyone comment on whether or not the pay scales put out by DW Simpson are worthwhile? I am just wondering if these are reasonable or not. I would like to use their publication to show my employer that I should be paid more(don't worry I will be tactful with it). The pay scales I am referring to can be found at this website:

http://www.actuaryjobs.com/salary.html

If someone has a general sense of the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of these salaries or just want to comment on where their salary falls on this scale (ie above, below, or fit into the scale) please respond. I am specifically interested in the lesser experience end of the scales. I would also appreciate any insight into how much the size and type of the company and the amount of time given to study for exams should affect salary (I am not in a study program and therefore am doing work full time). I appreciate any responses.
    I think you'll find that for smaller companies, you won't be getting too high on this pay scale. I work for a small insurance company, and my salary is less than the 10% of the scale. But the work is less stressful and the environment is very relaxed and friendly. I don't know that I'd give up my job in order to be making what's in the higher range of the bracket.

A lot of these salaries may also be in the NY area, where their high salary is offset by the exorbitant cost of living. If you work in a "cheaper" area, then it's reasonable to be paid less, where your everyday life costs less.

Comment

I work for a large company in Florida and I'd say the scale on the DW Simpson website is pretty accurate, I'm a little above the middle for my exams/experience. We get about 100 hours of study time for FM, 180 for M, and 160 for C.

Comment

wat, you are in a similar boat as me then. I am with a very small company and in an average location as far as cost of living goes. I agree with you that probably the majority of the population for the study is in NY city or Connecticut. These are major aspects of a salary but I also think the quality of my work and steepness of my learning curve are important too. I think asking for a salary near the 10% level is not obsurd (I am pretty far below it right now)

Comment

Location can play a huge factor. Some areas can fall far below the norm (TN, SC). Some areas can fall way above the norm.
          P. S. I'm Denny Crane

Comment

I look at it this way. Sure the cost of living is less here than in NY city, but at the same time the company I work for is not getting less of a return on my work based on our location. ie if you look at it from the standpoint of "what is my work output worth to the company" than I don't think my location is as big a deal. I say this because we are near a major metro area and are a consulting company so there are plenty of companies to potentially serve. My responsibilities have also increased atleast 3 fold in the last year.

Comment

Working...
            X