This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salary negotiating

I am graduating in about a week. I currently have two job offers. Of the two, the one I really want, but the salary is about 4000 lower than the one that doesn't interest me as much. The two companies are very similar and are in the same city (thus, the same cost of living). The company I really want knows I have received another offer, but unfortunately hasn't upped my salary like I was hoping they would. Would it be inappropriate if I told the company that I really wanted to work for them, but the salary discrepency makes it difficult to make the decision? How would I go about doing this? Is this a common thing to do? Do companies usually raise their offers?

To whomever answers me.. thanks so much!

This is not necessarily inappropriate but you must be prepared for the possible consequences. Most likely, they will say they cannot negotiate entry level salaries (which is the policy at many companies), some companies will even rescind the offer if the find out you are salary shopping. There is, of course, the possibility that they believe you are quite a catch and are willing to negotiate. This is a tough decision.

As a side note, be sure you are looking at more than just the annual salaries. Bonuses and exam pay raises vary greatly among companies and should be a big consideration (because hopefully you will continue to pass exams). Also compare the study time allotted as well as the potential to train in different areas (learning different actuarial areas will help when you go looking for your next position).

Good luck.

Comment

I think this is more or less a value judgement you need to make. If I were you, I'd take the job you want instead of taking a job that pays 4k more/year. To me, being miserable every time I go to work isn't worth $4,000. If you really want the job, you'll probably have some room for promotion and the 4000 won't mean that much anyways.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Take the job you really want. Although $4,000 is a lot now, it won't be as much over a long period of time as your salary goes up over the years. Plus, you need to be happy with your work. That should be your priority.

Tell them...I would like to accept the position with your company and am very excited about the prospect to work with you and everyone at XYZ. As a matter of fact, I was offered $4,000 by ABC and would have liked your offer to be slightly higher, but I am putting that aside becuase the position I really want is with your company so I would like to accept today.

1) This sets the stage for you to work with them knowing how excited you are about working there 2) You never know...they may come back and give you the extra money. If they do, be sure to post here.
        P. S. I'm Denny Crane

Comment

I wouldn't take another salary to them and ask for more unless you are very confident that they really want you. If you are talking about a company that doesn't have a well defined pay schedule based on exams passed etc. you can always go back after 6 months to a year and ask for a raise. I think a lot of companies are willing to pay you more after they know that you fit in and do quality work. This of course isn't true if they have a well defined pay scale and don't make subjective adjustments to salary in this way. In the two jobs I have had that did not have well defined pay scales I was given such raises shortly after I started. Of course this is all mute if you aren't a quality worker. In general, I agree that your happiness with your job is more important than a few thousand. Not only will you enjoy your life more but it will also show up in the quality of your work and therefore could lead to you getting a higher salary in the end anyway.

Comment

Denny's suggestion is a very good one.

Comment

Working...
            X