This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble finding a job...

I have been looking for a job in the actuarial field more or less off and on for the past five years. I have passed two exams, but never really felt motivated to take more until I got an actual position that would support my exam-taking. I have been on dozens and dozens of interviews...probably sent resumes to every major actuarial employer (and most mid-size employers), and I never got a single bite. I have no "direct" actuarial experience, although I have been a retirement plan administrator for several years, and have some experience working with DB plans.

Do you think I should just try and pass the third exam (with NO support from my employer, by the way...), and then try to find a job again. But what I fear is the same thing I have been hearing all along...not enough experience. I just think that it's so competitive out there, that even if I have an FSA and no experience, companies will STILL not hire me because I don't have any experience. Even entry level positions (which is more or less what I'm trying to apply for) don't hire me because I don't have any experience.

Or, do you think that I should just give up the ghost, and realize that I am not the actuarial-type? I know I'm very smart, and I know I can succeed, but without internships since high school, I'm doomed.

Originally posted by yyosh
    I have been looking for a job in the actuarial field [...]. I have been on dozens and dozens of interviews...probably sent resumes to every major actuarial employer (and most mid-size employers), and I never got a single bite. [snip]
    Well, I am not actuary, but as an old person (54) with some experience would say that you have a big problem with interviews. Either interviewing techniques, or wrong answers, or wrong attitude, or wrong behavior.

It is a big step to be invited to interview at the first place. Few people would waste several hours of their time on interviewing a person who does not fit a priori. Anybody will see from your resume that you had no insurance internship. If in doubt, it would be so much easier to check by phone than to arrange an interview. If dozens of companies invited you to interviews, you have no problem with resume, exams, internships, education, work experience, etc.

Something other breaks the deal, and it happens during interviews. Dozens times.

Comment

If you've been able to get interviews, that means they like you enough to talk to you. They've obviously been changing their minds about you after they talk to you. Read a book on interviewing and brush up on those skills.
      Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

ALso, i would suggest attending the Actuarial Fair to be held in NYC on Jan 9th.You might get a break there and it is a great way to network!

Comment

Working...
        X