X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to get actuary position on H1

Hi all,
    I am on H1 visa so is it possible to get a position of actuary .

May I know how do you get it? Further studies, Green card lottery, sponsorship from company?

Comment

Originally posted by Harkiran View Post
      Hi all,
      I am on H1 visa so is it possible to get a position of actuary .
      I hope not. We have enough unemployed and qualified citizens in the U.S. as it is. Please go back to India and work in a call center for 15 cents an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by JS1 View Post
        I hope not. We have enough unemployed and qualified citizens in the U.S. as it is. Please go back to India and work in a call center for 15 cents an hour.
        THIS is def. trolling. People that are threatened by competition, foreign or domestic, should figure out why they are being fired in lieu of others.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreExams View Post
          THIS is def. trolling. People that are threatened by competition, foreign or domestic, should figure out why they are being fired in lieu of others.
          Quit calling me a troll! Wake up, this is real life... India's wages are drastically lowering than the U.S. The U.S. cannot compete with India for work because of the vast disparity in wages. Are you satisfied with just giving up and letting India take over?

Comment

Quit calling me a troll! Wake up, this is real life... India's wages are drastically lowering than the U.S. The U.S. cannot compete with India for work because of the vast disparity in wages. Are you satisfied with just giving up and letting India take over?
            Wake up, this country was built on immigrants. I'm not afraid of India or any other country's citizens competing for the same jobs that I am. Then again I have faith in my skill set.

Comment

Wake up, this country was built on immigrants. I'm not afraid of India or any other country's citizens competing for the same jobs that I am. Then again I have faith in my skill set.
              These people are not immigrants! There are lots of different visas, but they can be divided into two main groups -- immigrant visa and non-immigrant visa. An H1B is a non-immigrant visa.

Here's an example of how the two are treated differently even though it has nothing to do with the actuarial profession or employment in general: in the state of South Carolina (probably most states as well), if you want to get a concealed weaopns permit, you have to be either a U.S. citizen or the holder of an immigrant visa (a green card). Even if the legislature wanted to give non-immigrant visa holders a concealed weapons permit, it would be pointless because a non-immigrant visa holder *cannot posess* a firearm pursuant to federal law.

This country was NOT built on non-immigrants. People in England didn't work for companies based in the U.S. because no such arrangement existed. If you wanted to work in the U.S., you had to come over here, apply for citizenship, and park your butt in this country permanently. Lots of people did that (see photographs of the crowds at Ellis Island in the 1800's).

Today, when presented with the choice of immigrating here and gaining U.S. citizenship or coming here on a non-immigrant visa, besides the immigration limits (not at all a recent change in federal law, by the way), it's just easier to be a "temp" so that you don't have to worry about forever leaving your family behind in India or whatever country you came from.

The wages these people earn go straight back to their home country, depriving the U.S. of the economic benefits that are normally obtained by people working here.

I hope everyone has enjoyed my lecture on economics and history.

P.S. I have faith in my skill set as well, but the problem is that Indian labor is so cheap, it's cheaper to hire two Indians to do your job that you used to do all by yourself. I was told this directly by an FSA who is a VP (or senior VP, I don't recall). He doesn't make this stuff up.
              Last edited by JS1; July 21 2009, 02:03 AM.

Comment

This attitude is fantastic. Salute!
                A&J Study Materials (anjstudymanual.com)

Provides study manuals and questions banks for exam P/1, FM/2 and MFE/3F

Comment

P.S. I have faith in my skill set as well, but the problem is that Indian labor is so cheap, it's cheaper to hire two Indians to do your job that you used to do all by yourself. I was told this directly by an FSA who is a VP (or senior VP, I don't recall). He doesn't make this stuff up.
                  Thanks for the lesson on economics and history, at this time I don't have the energy to debate it but I do have an issue with the last statement (quoted for emphasis). If you can be that easily replaced then you have no one to blame but yourself. Is your VP or SVP friend afraid of getting replaced by the same cohort of people that you are scared of? Ever wonder why not?

Comment

NoMoreExams, you are really a man!

Comment

Originally posted by nostalgiajesskang View Post
                      NoMoreExams, you are really a man!
                      My gf agrees

Comment

Thanks for the lesson on economics and history, at this time I don't have the energy to debate it but I do have an issue with the last statement (quoted for emphasis). If you can be that easily replaced then you have no one to blame but yourself. Is your VP or SVP friend afraid of getting replaced by the same cohort of people that you are scared of? Ever wonder why not?
                        Really, so it's MY fault that the U.S. government has no problem with skilled professional labor being shipped overseas so that the government can pay me unemployment compensation, subsidize my COBRA premiums and collect nothing in payroll and incomes taxes. Why I ever ignored my constituents and voted for those bills I just don't know. Stupid me! I should balance the needs of the citizens and the corporate lobbyists better in the future or I might not be re-elected to Congress next year.

BTW there is no one who is safe from layoffs. If you are a manager and most of your employees are now in India instead of on your floor, your days are numbered.
                        Last edited by JS1; July 21 2009, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Really, so it's MY fault that the U.S. government has no problem with skilled professional labor being shipped overseas so that the government can pay me unemployment compensation, subsidize my COBRA premiums and collect nothing in payroll and incomes taxes. Why I ever ignored my constituents and voted for those bills I just don't know. Stupid me! I should balance the needs of the citizens and the corporate lobbyists better in the future or I might not be re-elected to Congress next year.

BTW there is no one who is safe from layoffs. If you are a manager and most of your employees are now in India instead of on your floor, your days are numbered.
                          I addressed this in another thread. Answer me this, do you think competition is good or bad?

Comment

Fair competition is, without a doubt, the best economic system. Failures like North Korea and the USSR do not have an economic system like ours that takes fair competition and turns out the best living standard the world has ever known.

Unfair competition, on the other hand, is no better than Standard Oil or the old Ma Bell. Letting India break our kneecaps on wages is one step short of treason in my book.

For example, let's pretend that McDonald's on 8th street charges $1.50 for a Big Mac. McDonald's on 12th street charges 35 cents for a Big Mac. Very few people will refuse to walk or drive an extra four blocks to save such a large amount of money.

The McDonald's on 12th street can survive on the 35 cents Big Mac because their employees are paid $2.20 an hour, whereas the McDonald's on 8th street has people in the restaurant who make $7.25 an hour. The McDonald's on 12th street got a waiver from the Department of Labor to import workers from overseas who are happy to work there for $2.20 an hour.

If the McDonald's on 12th street isn't burned to the ground by the time the wage disparity is eliminated once news of its existence is made, I would be surprised.

The actuarial world can get away with this, for now, because it's not in-your-face like my McDonald's example.
                            Last edited by JS1; July 21 2009, 03:06 AM.

Comment

Fair competition is, without a doubt, the best economic system. Failures like North Korea and the USSR do not have an economic system like ours that takes fair competition and turns out the best living standad the world has ever known.

Unfair competition, on the other hand, is no better than Standard Oil or the old Ma Bell. Letting India break our kneecaps on wages is one step short of treason in my book.

For example, let's pretend that McDonald's on 8th street charges $1.50 for a Big Mac. McDonald's on 12th street charges 35 cents for a Big Mac. Very few people will refuse to walk or drive an extra four blocks to save such a large amount of money.

The McDonald's on 12th street can survive on the 35 cents Big Mac because their employees are paid $2.20 an hour, whereas the McDonald's on 8th street has people in the restaurant who make $7.25 an hour. The McDonald's on 12th street got a waiver from the Department of Labor to import workers from overseas who are happy to work there for $2.20 an hour.

If the McDonald's on 12th street isn't burned to the ground by the time the wage disparity is eliminated once news of its existence is made, I would be surprised.

The actuarial world can get away with this, for now, because it's not in-your-face like my McDonald's example.
                              This may be true for a getting a good ol' cheeseburger but let's say we take it a step further and look at ... universities. If foreigners come here and can do better work, should we deny them? Should we halt progress in R&D just because you are afraid they are smarter than you (and willing to work for less)? By your logic WalMart is bad as well since it puts the Ma and Pa shops out of business. I said before and I'm afraid this might be my last post for the day, competition is good. I enjoy being challenged. If there's a better person for my job, I'm either not trying hard enough or I should go look elsewhere. I don't work at a super competitive job so maybe I'm not experiencing your competition, I don't know where you were employed. I guess my point is competition breeds innovation in my book and I welcome it.

Comment

Working...
                              X