This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ???Question on job growth???

I'm a junior currently, majoring in economics and I'm very interested in the actuary field (been interested for about six months and planning on taking the first test in May). I haven't figured out what specific part of the field will afford me the most opportunity and will show job growth for the next 20-30 years. On the face of things, the health care end, seems to show some considerable growth but I'm curious what other people think or know from experience.

So basically:
    1) What areas are going to show the strongest growth for 10,20 30 years?
    2) Is cross-over from on field to another easy? (health care to life to corp. liability)
    3) What about "offshoreing" in the next ten years to India or China?
    4) What do you wish someone told you when you were in college?

Thanks,
    Andrew

4. I wish someone told me how pointless going to school is.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

4. Your way ahead of where I was in college. I didn't hear of the profession until I had been teaching high school for almost two years . I would be sure to try and pass 1 or 2 exams before graduation and I would look at the VEE requirements and be sure that you take classes to meet those while still in school. Since you are an econ major I would hope you already have classes that would satisfy the Econ and Finance VEE, but I would be sure to take classes that satisfy the stats VEE too. That way you won't have to worry about extra classes/ exams on top of work and actuary exams after graduation like I have had to do.

As for your other questions - as long as you can pass exams I have never heard of an actuary or even an actuary student that was out of a job longer than a few months that didn't want to be. I believe that address both your offshoring and job growth questions. Other threads I believe discuss these two topics better then I can

Comment

Working...
      X