This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of getting hired

Currently, I am in my final year of high school (grade 12) and in the middle of choosing an university program for next year. I love math and have been exploring the career of an acutary (through internet because its hard to find people who know what an actuary does) for almost a year. On websites like 'Be An Acutary' and 'US Bureau of Labor Statistics' I have seen many positive points about becoming an acutary. But before I make my decision of selecting a university program (engineering, actuary, etc.) I have some questions about acturial field that I would like to get answered.

I will be entering University of Toronto. Let's say after four years when I graduate, assuming I will have about 3 to 4 exams pass, what are my chances of getting employed (in Canada and in US). On this forum, some posts mentioned that it is really difficult to find a job and that in New York and in Canada there are no jobs available at all. How true is this statement? Before I enter this field, I would like to make sure that there is enough job security available and that job prospects are good.

Furthermore, DW Simpsons salary surveys suggest that starting salaries are fairly high for actuaries compared to other field. This means that there is a great need for actuaries and job prospects are good. This is how I would like it to be, but is it like this in the real world. Also, how accurate are the surveys.

I hope this isn't confusing to understand. Thanks for your replies.

The surveys are very accurate. If you have 3-4 exams passed when you graduate and have decent communication skills you will have no problem finding a job. It's good that you are interested early. Try to get a couple internships while in college, they are great experience, and will give you a chance to make some good contacts.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan_Horse View Post
      The surveys are very accurate. If you have 3-4 exams passed when you graduate and have decent communication skills you will have no problem finding a job. It's good that you are interested early. Try to get a couple internships while in college, they are great experience, and will give you a chance to make some good contacts.

Good luck
      Thanks for your help. Another simple question: Are there this good job prospects in Toronto, in US or at both places?
      Also, does anyone know how easy/hard it is to find an intership while studying in University of Toronto (should I just ask UofT and see what they suggest. I need your advice guys.). In what year should I start internship?

Comment

Ask the university - they'll have a better handle on internships and job prospects in Canada.

AFA prospects in the U.S. - of course there are plenty of options at entry-level, but if you need sponsorship it's going to be tougher; not impossible, but there will be fewer options. Again, the question of sponsorship is best suited for the university, where they should have a good handle on the market and what they've had to do to place students.
        "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

Is the market for actuaries good in Canada or in US?

What I mean to say is that should I attend university in Canada and then find a job in Canada or should I attend univesrity in US and then find a job in US? Which option do you think is better meaning which option will get me a job faster?

Comment

Given the same qualifications, it is much harder to get a job in Canada, than in the US.

Comment

Working...
            X