This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - also looking at underwriting

Ok, I'm trying to land my first job. Get my feet wet. I'm also extremely picky about the area in which I want to work.

I know I want to work in insurance (or something related) and I know I want to do something involving risk management. I think that I would also like underwriting besides actuarial work (from what I've heard about both career paths). A lot of people have told me that going into underwriting is not a bad move for a math major / actuarial candidate. A few have told me that these two career paths are almost totally unrelated though.

So anyways, here are my questions:

1. Is it really a good idea to try going into underwriting as well, especially to land my first job?
    2. If I apply for an underwriting position, should I discuss actuarial science at all? It would give me some grounds to say that I know basic insurance terms and some basic insurance principles, but it might also make me look uncertain about what I want to do (or that I'm "shotgunning")?

I wouldn't apply for both an actuarial position and an underwriting position at the same company. Figure out what you really want to do and focus a bit.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
      I wouldn't apply for both an actuarial position and an underwriting position at the same company. Figure out what you really want to do and focus a bit.
      Well I wouldn't apply for both at the same company, but some companies only have underwriting positions in the location I want and some only have actuarial positions in the location I want.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumped
        Well I wouldn't apply for both at the same company, but some companies only have underwriting positions in the location I want and some only have actuarial positions in the location I want.
        You still should figure out whether you want to do underwriting or actuarial work. When I'm applying for a job, I'll be applying for an actuarial position regardless of whether companies have an opening or not. If you can make a company want you enough, they might be able to open a position for you.
        Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Working...
        X