Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actuarial Jobs in Southern California

Hi All:

How is the job market in Southern California around Orange County or San Diego.

Thank you

Hai

BAD! so far doesn't look too pretty. =\

Comment

Actuarial Jobs in San Diego?

I am studying for Exam P right now. On the one hand I am excellent at math and have already seen most of the probability material in a course I took last summer, but on the other hand I didn't start studying until this week for the exam next month. I still think I will pass though. Anyways, I am going to be looking for a job in San Diego cause it's nice and sunny there. Right now I am in DC. Does anyone know any companies that hire actuaries in San Diego? I checked with Geico, but their SD office is just sales and stuff.

Comment

Look at the actuarial directory... unfortunately, there aren't many. Almost all of the actuaries in San Diego (44 of them total) seem to be in consulting.

Comment

can u give me the link for actuarial directory?

Comment

its on soa.org

Comment

Another question I have is how hard is it to get a job long distance? I hope to get a job lined up before I move.

Comment

I assume your question is about getting a job in a different city than you currently live. You'll submit applications and get phone interviews. If they're interested, they'll fly you out for a day of in-person interviews. If they want you, they'll offer you a job that will typically include a relocation package.

I've moved twice with new positions and it went this way both times.

Comment

Originally posted by Trojan_Horse View Post
                  I assume your question is about getting a job in a different city than you currently live. You'll submit applications and get phone interviews. If they're interested, they'll fly you out for a day of in-person interviews. If they want you, they'll offer you a job that will typically include a relocation package.

I've moved twice with new positions and it went this way both times.
                  I understand that part, but does someone who has passed 1 or 2 exams have a shot at this (even with a good math/stats background)? I am a bit worried that if I do not have actuarial experience and just have passed 1 or 2 exams, they can find a local candidate with the same qualifications. It is hard to differentiate myself in this case.

Comment

San Diego is great, but a tough place to start an actuarial career. For life actuaries, Pacific Life (Orange County) is closest. If you can move, talk to a recruiter about what you'd like.

With one exam, you can get a job elsewhere; better with two exams. Relocation is negotiable, might be the employer arranging and paying everything, but you can probably find a willing employer. (Some employers might prefer to reimburse after you arrange, relocate, and pay for the move.)
                    I thought this WAS a real job

Comment

How about LA? There seem to be a lot more actuaries in the actuary database out there...

Comment

hi

hi am new hear look forward to learn alot

Comment

Working...
                        X