This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at internship possibilities:

Currently in my 3rd semester (5th, but transfer, lost credits, etc.) of an Actuarial Science degree, 1430 SAT and should (if all holds steady) have a 4.0 this semester. I plan on taking Exam P in February - I'm going to be visiting my campus Career Center on Monday, but I'm wondering how best to maximize my opportunity of an internship - I plan on really learning Excel over December/January when school's out, and go through the Actex manual (I'm taking Probability now, but we aren't going terribly in depth in the various distributions).

Is there any one thing I particularly need to concentrate on to help get an internship during the Summer, and do you know if there are any year-long internships around?

Originally posted by SirVLCIV
    Currently in my 3rd semester (5th, but transfer, lost credits, etc.) of an Actuarial Science degree, 1430 SAT and should (if all holds steady) have a 4.0 this semester. I plan on taking Exam P in February - I'm going to be visiting my campus Career Center on Monday, but I'm wondering how best to maximize my opportunity of an internship - I plan on really learning Excel over December/January when school's out, and go through the Actex manual (I'm taking Probability now, but we aren't going terribly in depth in the various distributions).

Is there any one thing I particularly need to concentrate on to help get an internship during the Summer, and do you know if there are any year-long internships around?
    I wouldn't bring up your SAT scores unless they ask, but the most important thing you need to concentrate on is your interviewing skills. Your resumé will get you the interview, but your interview will get you the job.
    Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

I think that skills with excel will help in many cases. When i interviewed for a position they asked me what my excel "skill level" was. They then followed that question up with, "what are some of the advanced features that you know how to use"? I just talked a little about VLOOKUP's and visual basic macros and they seemed to really like that. I suggest you learn how to use some advanced features in excel that way if they ask, you'll look good. Also, if you can take a course at school teaching Excel, I think you should. It will certainly help in the future to know how to use the program since the majority of actuaries need this skill. It will also serve as good "evidence" to the interviewer that you really do have excel skills.

Comment

Thanks for the help - I'll definitely be looking at Excel this winter. What would you guys say the most important features of Excel for intern work would be?

Comment

Originally posted by SirVLCIV
          Thanks for the help - I'll definitely be looking at Excel this winter. What would you guys say the most important features of Excel for intern work would be?
          At least from my two previous internships, I would say learning how to use VLOOKUP, conditional functions (IF, etc.), and Pivot Tables is pretty important. Also, understanding cell "anchoring" when referencing cells is key.

Merry Christmas!
          act justly. walk humbly. .

Comment

Working...
          X