This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• counting cards in poker

Are many actuaries good at counting cards in poker?

Originally posted by number1
    Are many actuaries good at counting cards in poker?
    I probably could be.....if I really cared much about poker. Counting cards is probably more handy in Blackjack (which I'm more interested in - much more strategy than the "poker" you see 27 times a day on FSN.)
    "You better get to living, because dying's a pain in the ***." - Frank Sinatra

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_ar...blogger_id=174 - where I talk about the Blues and the NHL.

Comment

anyone who can add can count cards in blackjack. It's not a very difficult thing to do.

Comment

Yeah, but it's much more fulfilling to understand what you're actually counting.

Comment

When I count cards in Blackjack, I use a system that does not require memorizing every card. It's much more practice than a mathematical skill like playing piano or basketball.
          Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Poker

Poker involves a lot more skill than blackjack.

In blackjack you simply make a decision based on the odds presnted to you.

In poker you have to calculate odds, factor in peoples prior playing behaivour and likely response, also need to consider whether to accept a risk, raise it, bet, or fold. On top of that you have the whole pyschology thing going on as well.
            Last edited by AVB; August 16 2005, 02:16 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I don't understand how you can count cards in poker. Unless you're in a group with the dealer, you shouldn't see any cards that you're not supposed to see. The deck is reshuffled and unless you're very good at card tracking, you don't really have much going for you.
              Whether you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be running.

Comment

Counting

You don't count in the same way as you would for blackjack.

You approximate the likely chances of a given result, say, a full house, occuring. To do this you need to make assumptions about what cards the other players have. You do this by observing their behaviour.

It is not easy, but that is why it is a more difficult game than blackjack in my opinion.

Comment

But that is not counting cards at all. That's just calculating probability..

Comment

Counting

I am only trying argue that Poker involves more skill than blackjack.

I never implied that you count cards. If I used the phrase 'count' I only meant count what you see in front of you, not anything deeper!

Comment

Working...
                    X